Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Set of dinner plates

Set of dinner plates

Just finished an order for a customer who wanted a set of 8 dinner plates. These are made from Siberian Elm and are 10-3/8" diameter. The shape and design is inspired by Glenn Lucas's Irish Dinner Plate, which we made in his class at Craft Supplies that I took in April. We've been eating off wood plates since 2011, but I like the design of the Irish Plate so borrowed some ideas from it for this set.

All measurements are within 1/8" of each other (diameter, height, base size, rim width, bead size, thickness). I'm very pleased with how well they stack on top of each other, there is a consistent gap between plates, and an even (level) stack.

I finished them with Doctors Woodshop Walnut Oil/Carnauba Wax, and then a light coat of Walnut Oil Paste Wax just because. Wax is not a finish and it will wash off the first time the plates are washed, but it makes them feel good out of the box so what the hey.

This was my first time using any Doctors Woodshop products, and so far so good. The oil is applied on the lathe and then buffed in using heat generated by the spinning plate and pressure from the cloth. The heat helps dry the oil/wax, and I gotta say it does seem to work. I let the plates sit for a day or two afterwards and I can pick them up now and not get oil on my fingers.

I sent pictures of the finished plates to the customer to make sure this is what she had in mind. She wrote back saying she loves them, and now wants a 3-bowl set of Salad bowls. I haven't even shipped the plates yet, and she's ordering more.

DSC_0088.JPG DSC_0092.JPG DSC_0093.JPG DSC_0094.JPG

Nice,I love that bead and flat rim. I would suggest 4 (or some higher EVEN number) on that salad bowl order; more conventionally useful and the suggestion will only increase their confidence in you even if they stay with 3.

Excellently done Pat. What time is dinner?????
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Nice,I love that bead and flat rim. I would suggest 4 (or some higher EVEN number) on that salad bowl order; more conventionally useful and the suggestion will only increase their confidence in you even if they stay with 3.

Thanks Mel. I meant to say she wants a nested set of 3-bowls (11", 9", 7"), not a set of individual bowls. For individual bowls you're right, 3 is an oddball number. I sell individual bowls starting at a 4 bowl set, then 6 or 8.

Very, very nice! Exceptional work.

Maybe that is 3 salad serving bowls?
    Love the plates.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

7. Top shelf Pat.....nice work! Congrats on the commission!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Top shelf Pat.....nice work! Congrats on the commission!
    Ditto, ditto and ditto!
    Be Blessed

George

Very nice work Pat, and I do love Siberian Elm, a very nice looking wood
    Have fun and take care

Great work! Almost looks like copies of each other. M

Pat, those are fantastic. Beautiful craftsmanship.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Blog Entries
    I like the Siberian Elm. Pretty wood. Nice execution of the platters. You can call me most anything. Please do not call me late for dinner.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

The customer sent me a link to some bowls that she owns now, and this is what she wants me to make out of wood. Certainly not a classic bowl shape or the kind of bowl that I normally make, but it's her money so I'll see what I can do.
    Glenna Serving Bowls.jpg Glenna Serving Bowls_2.jpg

I wonder if she would accept a slight rounding on the inside corners of those bowls. I would want to see an inside corner surface that would be easy to dry and not hold a bead of water.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Nicely done Pat! Those would make anyone smile. Nice work.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.