Thread: Is this a Practical Design for a Rocking Chair

Is this a Practical Design for a Rocking Chair

I like this rocking chair, but the design seems to have the arms far too high, the arms are straight, and the back seems narrow for some of the wider folks in the world. Do you folks think this would be a good one for practical use, or is this a conversation piece?

Cherry Rocker.jpg

You'd have to ride it a while to properly judge it IMO. Nothing wrong with the basic concept though.

Blog Entries
    If you are planning on making this rocker, you could easily change the arm height to suit you needs. As far as supporting "wider folks", there are a lot of rockers that are more heavy duty that might be better suited for that application. Delicate furniture needs to be treated with some level of restraint when it comes to "wider folks".
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I've built eight rocking chairs. I learned from Paul Sellers at Homestead Heritage. Using his designs, which I find to be incredibly comfortable, I make the seat about 16" above the floor and the arms about 8" above the seat. The proportions on the subject design appear extreme to me. I suspect it may not be comfortable to sit in.

I really would not know without sitting in the chair. The dimensions on the chair are not known. I really can't judge the chair without sitting in it.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 07-25-2016 at 6:49 PM.

Maybe the builder plans for a 4" cushion on the bottom...
    Mark McFarlane

It was a nice looking chair for sale, but in the long run I passed. It seemed more of a conversation piece than practical. A cushion would have helped but the seller indicated it was very delicate.

That looks tippy (side-to-side) in the rocked-back position. Visually it's intriguing though...
    AKA - "The human termite"

Top looks traditional, while bottom looks modern. Doesn't fit together well in my opinion.

Blog Entries
    brocker1.jpgcrocker1.jpg

Here are chairs I find to be very attractive. Of course, they are Paul Sellers designs.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    brocker1.jpgcrocker1.jpg

Here are chairs I find to be very attractive. Of course, they are Paul Sellers designs.
    I like both of those quite a bit. The one on the right has a mission/craftsman sort of look.