• Circular / Figure eight

2 2.50%
  • None of the above (please explain)

4 5.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening poll

Sharpening poll

Why not have another sharpening thread?

This one a poll. Not a question about stones or sharpening media, purely about method, not including hollow grinding, just the hand process, although it does include the use of jigs. It seems there are three ways to grind / hone an edge. Bear with me please -
    1) front to back / back to front - ex: this is the method needed to use the typical roller jig for example although I'm not asking if you use a jig -- the grinding and honing is done in the direction the tool such as plane blade normally is used in practice (not accounting for skewing the plane for example), just the basic forward and back stroke used by the tool (including for example paring in a forward direction)not related to stones or media;
    2) side to side - just the perpendicular direction to the front to back of number 1 above - this is a recent example espoused by Frank Klaus video;
    3) circular and or figure eight method - self explanatory, I think, given 1 and 2 above;
    4) none of the above, including for example not applicable because you never grind or hone to get a sharp edge, or some other method not properly described by one of the three options above (in which please do elaborate).
    Feel free to add other comments as needed

Note - if you use multiple, please respond with your preferred, go to method, not the special case condition
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 07-25-2016 at 3:19 PM.

Wait, you mean you have to sharpen these tools? They don't stay sharp forever? Now you tell me...

"all of the above", or "it depends" were left off, so I can't vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    "all of the above", or "it depends" were left off, so I can't vote.
    I recognize some folks don't like to be put in a box or labeled "so and so", but for the greater good, please select your favorite method. Yeah, I know, it's like you don't want to publicly state which is your favorite kid, but we all know, there is one

I voted for what I do the majority of the time, which is primarily straight forward, and backward with the emphasis on forward. I depend on what it feels like going forward.

I assume this is specifically for bevel grinding/honing as opposed to back? I answered as such...

I use a very narrow figure 8 motion and hold the blade skewed at about 30 degrees.

For me, this keeps a consistent angle.

Blog Entries
    I use all the methods. Most often for a straight edged tool it will be back and forth on the bevel. Often though it is helpful to use the side to side method. The circular or figure eight tends to be used with gouges.

So most of my vote goes toward front to back - back to front.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If I do an endless straight motion on a stone shaped like a Mobius strip, does that also count as "circular"?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    If I do an endless straight motion on a stone shaped like a Mobius strip, does that also count as "circular"?
    Yes, for sure, this also includes serpentine motion. Lol

FYI - Not sure everyone knows this
    The poll option used here allows you to see who voted for which option. Just click on the count number to the right, next to the percentage.

On a flat bevel, I usually skew the blade as I move it back and forth. That puts me somewheres between number 1 and number 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    FYI - Not sure everyone knows this
    The poll option used here allows you to see who voted for which option. Just click on the count number to the right, next to the percentage.
    Thanks Pat. I never knew how to see that.
    Fred

I vote "none of the above" because I use a mixture of methods, sometimes with the same tool on the same stone, and I wouldn't be without any of them.

For my tools that I sharpen with a convex bevel, I use a very slight rocking motion front to back, ending on or just under the angle that I'm aiming for.

But I also sharpen some of my tools with a full flat bevel. For this, I skew them 45 degrees or so on the stone to eliminate any racking.

I also sometimes go in small circles, as this helps when using oil sometimes, and I primarily use oil stones. I use this a ton on gouges and hatchets, and also on cambered irons.

My methods change depending on the stones that I'm using and the blades that I'm sharpening, and I would never pick or advocate "just one." It really depends on what you're trying to accomplish, what bevel geometry you're after, what sort of stone and lubricant you're using, how much lubricant is present on the stone, whether you're working the bevel or the flat, etc. etc. etc. Heck, sometimes I'll even take the stone to the tool as opposed to the other way around, depending on what I'm sharpening and the size of the stone and which is easier to hold and control.

It's like working wood. Sometimes you plane straight on. Sometimes you might need to skew your plane. Sometimes you might need to back off on the depth of cut, or use another tool altogether such as a scraper. A flexible approach is always going to be more successful than a one-size-fits-all mentality, and the same goes for sharpening IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Voigt View Post
    Wait, you mean you have to sharpen these tools? They don't stay sharp forever? Now you tell me...
    I just order new ones when they get dull.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.