• Circular / Figure eight

2 2.50%
  • None of the above (please explain)

4 5.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharpening poll

Bevels, I usually push and pull
    Backs, I go side to side.

Figure 8, I use on the cambered plane irons' bevel.
    Strop, I will just pull back towards me.

Just a nix as needed, depends on the item being worked on..

Thanks to all for participating - 69 voters and 80% using the front to back method as compared to just 13% using the side to side method. I must admit that I also use both methods but have become more of a fan of the side to side method for plane blades. It just seems that pushing the leading edge of the blade into the stone, more or less in the manner it is used, is not optimal. Of course I have no data to support this, just intuition and the feeling I get, kind of a fingernail on the chalkboard type of thing, that I don't like. The side to side method doesn't have this same feeling. I also tend to think the scratch pattern on the blade edge is better with the side to side method. I think there would tend to be more deep grooves right on the edge with the front to back method. I do all my grinding and honing freehanded which might explain a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Thanks to all for participating - 69 voters and 80% using the front to back method as compared to just 13% using the side to side method. I must admit that I also use both methods but have become more of a fan of the side to side method for plane blades. It just seems that pushing the leading edge of the blade into the stone, more or less in the manner it is used, is not optimal. Of course I have no data to support this, just intuition and the feeling I get, kind of a fingernail on the chalkboard type of thing, that I don't like. The side to side method doesn't have this same feeling. I also tend to think the scratch pattern on the blade edge is better with the side to side method. I think there would tend to be more deep grooves right on the edge with the front to back method. I do all my grinding and honing freehanded which might explain a lot.
    That might depend on what kind of sharpening media you're using. I like to be able to feel the edge biting a bit so that I know when I get down to it. However, if you go straight forward and back, the edge can bite in and cause the blade to tilt forward, so for flat bevels, I go at a 45 degree angle. This allows me to feel the edge, but is a more subtle angle with less catch and racking. I think a *lot* of people who sharpen free hand use this method, and it wasn't in the options.

Another thing to consider, as I said before, is geometry. Western plane irons are so thin that I don't bother maintaining a flat bevel on them, and I sharpen them with a convex bevel. For that, front-to-back is perfect.

I've always found it odd that people work the back along the length of the stone (sideways), because stones tend to wear out hollow in that direction, which could curve the back of your chisel or plane iron. I do it myself sometimes, but I'm trying to switch to the habit of laying it off the end of the stone, where I know the axis will be straight, unless I'm using a stone where I have complete confidence that it's dead flat along the entire length.

Techniques I use also depend on my confidence in the flatness of the stone. Skewing your blade can cause problems if things aren't dead flat in a given axis.

I think if you were to look at who voted what, and what kind of stones they use, and tools they sharpen, and whether or not they sharpen free-hand, you might find a lot of interesting connections. Data always needs to be put into context to draw any accurate impressions from it.
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 07-28-2016 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dupont View Post
    That might depend on what kind of sharpening media you're using. I like to be able to feel the edge biting a bit so that I know when I get down to it. However, if you go straight forward and back, the edge can bite in and cause the blade to tilt forward, so for flat bevels, I go at a 45 degree angle. This allows me to feel the edge, but is a more subtle angle with less catch and racking. I think a *lot* of people who sharpen free hand use this method, and it wasn't in the options.
    I do that on the rare occasions when I freehand. IMO it's the best of both worlds - You get the "sharpening feel" benefit of front-to-back, but also the positive registration and "resistance to rocking" of side-to-side.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    I do that on the rare occasions when I freehand. IMO it's the best of both worlds - You get the "sharpening feel" benefit of front-to-back, but also the positive registration and "resistance to rocking" of side-to-side.
    Yep. I also think it's very much the best of both worlds; tend to I sharpen all of my flat-bevel tools that way.