Thread: Maloof-inspired low back chair

Maloof-inspired low back chair

FullSizeRender.jpgIMG_3082.JPGFullSizeRender 3.jpgFullSizeRender 2.jpgIMG_3083.JPG

This is my first chair and first project involving sculpture. I used templates purchased from Charles Brock (Maloof-inspired low-back chair). I also purchased his instructional book and DVD. I never got the full complement of hard lines that he talks about incorporated into the chair, but this is something I'll work toward next time, when I make a Maloof-inspired rocker. The plugs in the top of the arms are ebony, the other are light-colored miller dowels stained "black" with Dark Brown Trans Tint. The finish is Waterlox orignal. This is the third project I've used waterlox on, but the first (and last) time that I did not first seal with shellac! I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the construction.

Beautiful work, Bob!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wow, that looks great Bob. Is the wood walnut?

Yes, Scott. Walnut. I started with two slabs of about 30 bd ft each. It wasn't highly figured and I was hesitant to go nuts with the grain. I'm so use to matching, but with chairs it often looks good to mix match grain patterns. I just boaught two new 40 bd ft walnut slabs and started on my Charles Brock rocker yesterday

OK Bob, that chair is beautifully executed. Great job sir. Please explain your thoughts on sealing with shellac before applying Waterlox.

Quote Originally Posted by bob cohen View Post
    Yes, Scott. Walnut. I started with two slabs of about 30 bd ft each. It wasn't highly figured and I was hesitant to go nuts with the grain. I'm so use to matching, but with chairs it often looks good to mix match grain patterns. I just boaught two new 40 bd ft walnut slabs and started on my Charles Brock rocker yesterday
    When applied to the bare wood, which was sanded all the way up to 1000 grit, I found that the waterlox raised the grain so severely that I was having trouble spreading it out evenly. It was also very difficult to wipe off the excess; my rag (tucked inside a strip of pantyhose) kept catching on the raised wood fibers. The first coast was so rough and uneven, I had to sand fairly aggressively with 400 grit before applying the second waterlox coat. When I seal first with shellac (usually two coats), I can apply 3 coats of waterlox before sanding.

Great looking chair!! How does it sit?
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

That is gorgeous, nice work!

Yeah, is it comfortable?

super job..looks wonderful.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Yes, its comfortable!

Revival of an old thread that answers some of my questions about this project. I would love to achieve similar results to Bob's, the original poster.

Brock's web site lists tools to use for shaping that are not in my shop (yet). I have a grinder with a Galahad head that I have used for sculpting seats similar to this plan. How essential are the grinding burrs for shaping joints? I guess they would be the easiest method but could the Galahad and shaves do the job? Any other advise or encouragement would be welcome. Thanks!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

You might like also seeing Brian Robertson's videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6O..._ZGYHJw/videos

Matt

Thanks, Matt. A pleasure to watch a master at work.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Lovely, very 3 dimensional. Reminds me next time I’m at the beach sitting in the sand for an hour, take pictures and measurements!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!