Thread: Unusual saw set

Blog Entries

Unusual saw set

image.jpgI found this at an antique store for $5 and it was worth that just to satisfy my curiosity about it. It is a saw set, but I can't figure out certain aspects of it. It's got a moving mandrel like any other saw set that moves with the depression of the handle, but it also has this weird angled mouth and a screw that has two threaded holes to go into. It also has an adjustable depth stop.

If if you were to use the clamp to clamp the saw plate, it would put it at about a 22.5 degree angle, which would be one heck of a set. Can anyone figure this thing out?

image.jpg

That is quite similar to the nickel plated one I have,and posted here a long time ago."World's best saw set?",or something like that was the title. I can't recall offhand the make. But,it is very good for setting the smallest of saw teeth.

Mine has a round rosewood handle,but the setting mechanism is quite similar.

To set the angle of the set,you screw the screw down to different distances from the angled "bottom"of the set. Just let the saw's plate rest against the end of the screw. This sets the amount of set you'll get. The setting jaw can be adjusted in or out to accommodate different size teeth.

I suggest that you NEVER get rid of this rare type of saw set!!!
    Last edited by george wilson; 07-25-2016 at 6:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    That is quite similar to the nickel plated one I have,and posted here a long time ago."World's best saw set?",or something like that was the title. I can't recall offhand the make. But,it is very good for setting the smallest of saw teeth.

Mine has a round rosewood handle,but the setting mechanism is quite similar.

To set the angle of the set,you screw the screw down to different distances from the angled "bottom"of the set. Just let the saw's plate rest against the end of the screw. This sets the amount of set you'll get. The setting jaw can be adjusted in or out to accommodate different size teeth.

I suggest that you NEVER get rid of this rare type of saw set!!!
    Thanks, George. I figured that must be the way it worked. I knew as soon as I saw it that it was unique. This was one of those higher-end antique stores and he had most items way overpriced, but I believe he didn't even know what this was. I did a double-take at the price tag, and quickly bought it before someone decided there was a mistake.

In addition to what George said, it's a Samuel Leach #82 or #85 released in January 1869 in Boston,MA, (thank you, thank you.) Never seen one of those before, good find!
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Cutshall View Post
    In addition to what George said, it's a Samuel Leach #82 or #85 released in January 1869 in Boston,MA, (thank you, thank you.) Never seen one of those before, good find!
    Wow, impressive! I really appreciate that info. There is no maker's mark that I could find. Thanks for sharing that.

I searched "Is this the World's best saw set" and found my post. Mine is an Otis Smith. Works similar to yours. Someone posted an old ad for mine. Do a search and see it for yourself.

I had made a guess of 1912 for mine,but I can't recall what I was basing that guess upon. It looks like mine could have been based on yours,with a few added features after the other patent expired. How mine could have cost only $1.00 with postage included seems incredible!
    Last edited by george wilson; 07-25-2016 at 9:58 PM.

When I was learning the types of saw sets I used members.acmenet.net. They have a lot of stuff about stuff.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford