Thread: Hurricane CBN Smell?

Hurricane CBN Smell?

I recently purchased 80 and 180 grit CBN grinding wheels from The Woodturning Store. While the 180 grit wheel is practically odorless the 80 grit gives off a noxious smell. Anybody know why?

2. Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I recently purchased 80 and 180 grit CBN grinding wheels from The Woodturning Store. While the 180 grit wheel is practically odorless the 80 grit gives off a noxious smell. Anybody know why?
    I have the same CBN Wheels from the same vendor........mine do not put off an odor. No idea, but I would suggest you contact Steve Fulgoni.....it might be the particular steel that you are grinding????? Perhaps not, but a call to Steve might yield some information or alleviate concerns. If the wheel shows abnormal wear or something like that, then perhaps it is the matrix, but I doubt that is the case.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I have the same CBN Wheels from the same vendor........mine do not put off an odor. No idea, but I would suggest you contact Steve Fulgoni.....it might be the particular steel that you are grinding????? Perhaps not, but a call to Steve might yield some information or alleviate concerns. If the wheel shows abnormal wear or something like that, then perhaps it is the matrix, but I doubt that is the case.
    The smell comes from the wheel while just sitting. I haven't even used it yet. I have an email to Steve now.

Why don't you just return it, and get another one in its place?
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    Why don't you just return it, and get another one in its place?
    Len
    Not necessary. The Woodturning Store emailed back today and said that it's most likely a cleaner they use on some of the wheels. I'll just wait a while and see if the smell goes away.