Thread: I Must Have Lost My Mind

I Must Have Lost My Mind

I had face jointed and squared the edges of about 20 boards and run them through the planer and was in the process of cutting the boards to width. Two boards fit on the out feed table so I was cutting two boards, turning off the saw, then grabbing the skinny off cuts and throwing them in the scrap bin. I was using the blade guard and splitter as usual. Then after cutting the first board of a pair, I lifted the blade guard and went to grab the narrow off cut without turning the saw off. Luckily I only nicked my thumb on the blade and will have to wear a band aid for a few days. If the off cut had stopped half an inch sooner I wouldn't have cut myself. Half an inch farther and I'd be missing most of my thumb. I have no idea what I was thinking before the accident. It was a scary wake up call. Be careful out there!
    Dennis

The answer is simple - you weren't!

Blog Entries
    Easier to do when doing repetitive cutting.

Man, that's scary. Glad you're ok!

When I have a lot of material that's repetitive I'm always on high alert. Trying to plow through it and make it go quicker is where injuries happen.

Glad it wasn't worse! Good reminder for all of us.

Thanks for sharing Dennis, these posts help keep us all on our toes....
    Mark McFarlane

I've calmed down enough to go back out to the shop to straighten up. I swear I was more scared by what could have happened than by the cut on my thumb. In the military we'd have a safety down day after a series of reportable accidents. I think I need one now.
    Dennis

Deflector Installed on the saw.jpgDeflector in use.jpgVisio-Tablesaw deflector wedge drawing.pdf

Hi Dennis, that's a common mistake, glad you're OK.

Here's a Deflector Wedge project that will eliminate you having to clear small offcuts or small workpieces from the blade area, and it prevents them from being caught by the rear of the blade and thrown at you.

The wedge is held in place by rare earth magnets, I've included a PDF drawing in both measuring systems.

regards, Rod.

Why is there such a strong urge to clean up those offcuts before the blade stops spinning? Glad you weren't hurt worse!
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Just chills down my spine reading about it.