Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workbench update

Well done Tim. How are you going to ship it to me in Tupelo? Do ya just want to drive over?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Well done Tim. How are you going to ship it to me in Tupelo? Do ya just want to drive over?
    Bill
    Whatever is best for you. My girlfriend posted it on her Facebook and got several messages offering to buy it. The best offer was $500. I'd rather give it away than sell it for $500. I am editing this for the third time because I'm still travel weary and I'm afraid this post isn't projecting the humor I am going for.

Im pretty sure I have about $2000 in the bench all told. There is also over 250 hours of labor. I can see why so many people say it's frustrating to try to sell quality work to the masses.
    Last edited by Tim Cooper Louisiana; 07-27-2016 at 12:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    Nice work Tim.

If you are going to be in San Francisco for a while and would like to know of some good eating places, I used to live there and know some of great places for a limited budget.

There are also a few good places in the East Bay accessible by BART if you want to wander a bit.

Send me a PM if you like.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Wow, that looks amazing. Where did you source the lumber? I want to build one of these badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Jordan View Post
    Wow, that looks amazing. Where did you source the lumber? I want to build one of these badly.
    The majority of it came from Bell Forest that I ordered online. Then I suplemented with some from a local custom molding place.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Cooper Louisiana View Post
    Whatever is best for you. My girlfriend posted it on her Facebook and got several messages offering to buy it. The best offer was $500. I'd rather give it away than sell it for $500. I am editing this for the third time because I'm still travel weary and I'm afraid this post isn't projecting the humor I am going for.

Im pretty sure I have about $2000 in the bench all told. There is also over 250 hours of labor. I can see why so many people say it's frustrating to try to sell quality work to the masses.
    I built my first bench; that experience, and what you typed here, is why when this bench wears out I will be buying my next bench...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Stokes View Post
    I built my first bench; that experience, and what you typed here, is why when this bench wears out I will be buying my next bench...
    This bench had better not wear out.

Malcolm, I'm intrigued by the finish you use. Can you give me some rough percentages of each (beeswax/linseed oil/turpentine). Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Malcolm, I'm intrigued by the finish you use. Can you give me some rough percentages of each (beeswax/linseed oil/turpentine). Thanks!
    I replied to your PM but will post here for anyone watching. 1 pound beeswax, 1 pint pure gum turpentine, 1 pint raw linseed oil. It has to be PURE GUM turpentine. It doesn't have to be raw linseed oil, but does not need to be boiled linseed oil because the turpentine acts as a drying agent to enough degree that it dries to the touch in a day, is usable in a few days, and then fully cures over the next few weeks.