Thread: Rolling the drum on Oneida V3000

Rolling the drum on Oneida V3000

When I installed my Oneida V3000 dust collector on the Oneida stand I decided to add wheels to the 35 gallon steel drum to make it easier to move. Oneida sells a drum dolly but instead of purchasing that, I attached 4 2-inch swivel casters to the bottom of the drum. When I went to roll the drum under the dust collector I found that it was now too tall to fit under the leg braces because the drum hit on the gussets used to attach the braces.

hits at blue tape.jpg
    Drum hits at blue tape in the picture.

Oneida sells a leg extension kit to "lift your collector stand up so the drum can be easily be rolled in and out." I didn't want the dust collector raised 6 inches because that would only leave me 2 inches of clearance above the dust collector. So instead of purchasing the extension kit, I made a simple jig to drill an additional hole in each leg.

I glued two 8-inch 2x4s together, drilled a 1½ inch hole lengthwise through the block, drilled three holes on 2 inch centers through the sides of the block, and cut the block in half. This let me attach the jig to the two existing holes on the legs using the two lower jig holes. I could then use the upper jig hole to drill a third hole in each leg of the stand.

With the four new holes drilled, I attached the gussets 2 inches higher than before and the drum rolls easily under the braces without hitting the gussets. I have sufficient headroom above the dust collector and saved some money with an easy fix.

jig.jpg
    The jig

jig in place to drill.jpg
    Jig in place for drilling.

rolls under easily.jpg
    The drum now rolls easily under braces.

Nice! I have the same setup and didnt even think of going that route. I bought their drum dolly and stand leg extension kit and luckily it all still fit under my garage door when it was opened. I lucked out. Great idea for a fix though! Thanks for sharing!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Very good idea..thanks for posting.

I made mine out of pvc and use the Oneida roller under the 35 gal drum

I am often amazed at the uses people find for PVC.

Quote Originally Posted by John Neel View Post
    I am often amazed at the uses people find for PVC.
    Works great but I wouldn't want to go much higher with my design as I don't think the pic would be strong enough as I have it designed. But for just a few inches it works great.

Its it's funny I never noticed so much saw dust on the floor there but every time I empty the drum a big clump of saw dust falls out of the cyclone on the floor just as I roll the drum out. Never fails.