Thread: Somehow got ONE item cleaned..

Somehow got ONE item cleaned..

In spite of these sore hands. Just can't sit around and do nothing, it seems. You might remember a little eggbeater drill I "picked" awhile back, kind of got lost in all the other items needing cleaned up..
    tool box.jpg
    Just $3..... Anyway, finally got it apart, wire wheeled clean, oiled the moving parts, and a fresh coat of paint...or two
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Tried to match the OEM colours. The handles have a 3in1 Oil finish. Chuck works nicely, the three jaws work as needed. This is a single gear drive..
    IMAG0002.jpg
    And, was never drilled and tapped for a side handle. The name on the crank handle: GranLt Tool Comp. New York Germany
    Drug out the Millers Falls No. 2-01..
    IMAG0005.jpg
    Bit of a size difference. The cap was at one time loose, so someone had glued it in place. Handle threaded onto the top of the frame.

All parts move nicely, seems to be a nice little drill. Not sure who made it, though..

Soo, now I have a little eggbeater, that huge No. 2-01 and a Millers Falls No. 120 breast drill......might just about have a full range of these type of drills...

Nice restoration, Steve. I like the looks of that eggbeater. Haven't heard of using 3 in 1 oil for a finish. I assume it soaks in and stops being oily? Nice job as usual.

Usually soaks right in, then gets a wipe down. Still trying to find out who made this style of eggbeater....

Hi Steven,

Nice job! Have you had a chance to give it a go?

Stew

Yep, works nicely...

Steven,
    I have the same drill - it's the Granit Tool Co, not GRANLT. The dot on the "i" is clear on mine - yours may have grown together. I can't find it now, but I had some research that said Granit tools were sold by a hardware store in NYC. There isn't much on Google about it, although some online sellers insist they are extremely rare - but it's obviously not a top-end tool with only one gear and no slider/ bearing on the other side to balance it out.

For your burned hands, if they bug you enough, get some thin cotton gloves from the beauty section of the drug store (for moisturizing hands), put them on, then soak them with solarcaine or other burn gel (most have aloe gel and lidocaine for pain relief) and put some latex/ nitrile gloves over them. After a very short while you shouldn't have any pain. I deep-fried a couple of fingers (2nd degree burns) and that trick helped a lot - left it on for 24 hours, then used it for sleeping for a week after that.

good luck,
    Karl

As soon as I can build a till for the eggbeaters.....may have to hang one from the ceiling joists. I also have a Millers Falls No. 120 to finish the clean up on. BIG drill.

NYC, eh? Wonder why the "Germany" below the New York stamping?