Thread: What oil in your Oilers

What oil in your Oilers

For general shop use. What oil do you use in you Oil Can/ Oilers ?

lg56016.jpg
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 07-26-2016 at 11:31 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I always have a can of 3-in-1 around for general use.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    I have a few. Mostly it is motor oil drained from the bottles used during an automotive oil change. I also have a variety of oils in dispensers with a long brass spout and a twist valve on the end.

Silicon oil is kept in one of these. It penetrates almost anything and loosens in the same manner. An oil called Break Free is kept in another. This is another penetrating oil. Another holds a light sewing machine type oil.

My various metallic cans hold the automotive oil.

Another thing that should have pictures taken.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi, mono grade SAE #30....................regards, Rod.

Same as Rod 30 weight.

I had to sell my Saturn after only 18 years, ended up with a full quart of odd type of Dexron III it used. So in the oil can it goes. Otherwise it's been non-detergent 30 weight. I use it on bike chains, garage door rollers and hinges, whatever.

Dave, I have that same type of oil can. It was my grandfathers.

For the small fans (my Wife likes fans, I'm an enabler) around the house I bought a Zoom oiler. Very light weight oil, seems to work well with small motors and so far it hasn't gummed.

I also use an ancient glass syringe to get oil in difficult locations.

-Tom

A few years ago I switched over to a couple different brands of lightweight, non-toxic oils for all purpose lubrication duties. I used these for everything from motorcycle chain lubrication to a dry hinge. They are non-aerosol so there's no waste, next to no smell and last a long time.
    Mac

Blog Entries
    Here is a picture of most of my oil container/dispensers used in my shop:

Shop Oilers.jpg

There is one thing about the metal bottom bulb oilers some folks may not know. If there is a visible seam along the spout, it might be a place where oil seeps out when it is returned to the upright position.

For the little oilers with a plastic bulb, the ones with the brass top with threads inside the neck are better than the those of plastic with outside threads. The plastic caps tend to become fragile with age. Especially with oil on the threads it is easy to over tighten and
    crack the top. DAMHIKT!

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Zoom Spout oiler from HVAC supply house. Costs about a buck on sale.