Thread: Road Trip

Road Trip

Hi Everyone,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Last week, as usual, I spent 5 days on the road in NC and the culmination of my trip was a visit to Steve Wall Lumber in Mayodan, NC. I thought I would put up a post about my experience since everybody on the SMC board is looking for another source of quality woods. Mayodan is located in north central NC very near the VA boarder. I had the good fortune of driving through a few towns I knew from my childhood, but not because I ever visited or lived there. Mt. Airy, NC is the home of actor Andy Griffith, and is the model for Mayberry in his TV show. It is located between Mayodan and Greensboro and despite growth and development, retains its country charm. Another familiar name from his show is Mt. Pilot, which seemed to be a common destination anytime Andy or Barney had to go out of town. Mt. Pilot is actually Pilot Mountain State Park with one of the most unusually shaped mountain peaks I have ever seen. I didn’t tour the park since I am saving that for my next trip up when the leaves are in full color.

<o></o>

So anyway, I am getting around to telling you about the specific sight of interest, Steve Wall Lumber. This lumber company is prototypical in appearance, metal buildings that look very old and chocked full of just about every variety and size of lumber you can imagine. I met Steve and some of his staff when I arrived and they let me roam to my hearts content. Still, I was under some time constraints so I was unable to really do justice with my visit. I saw flitch cut curly cherry boards over 3’ wide and 15’ long as well as mounds of every domestic hardwood you could think of. The staff was more than friendly offering to assist me in going through the racks of lumber to help me find just the right pieces. They also had the largest stock of exotic hardwoods I have ever seen. I can’t imagine not finding hardwood lumber to meet you needs here.

<o></o>

I finally departed with 100 bf of walnut, 25 bf of curly cherry and 5 ambrosia maple turning blocks, all of which were priced as true values. I have attached a couple of pictures of the wood in my shop. I know, I know, I should have taken pictures while I was there but my inner moron forgot to bring the digital camera. Since I plan to return in about a month I will do better and bring back lots of pictures. Many thanks to Steve and his crew for making me feel welcome and valued as a customer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

One more pic and a comment. I copied the text from a text editor so I can't explain the extra icons or inserted stuff that seemed to appear in my post. I tried to take them out but, to no avail...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice haul Chris and I am glad to see you had a safe trip.

Thanks again.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Nice haul, Chris! Wall Lumber is a great place. Been once, would love to go again.

BTW, I really like your lumber rack system. Where'd you find that?
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

I've met Steve on two occasions at shows. He really does carry nice stuff!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've heard good things about Wall Lumber and hope to make it up that way soon. Thanks for posting.

"I copied the text from a text editor so I can't explain the extra icons or inserted stuff that seemed to appear in my post. I tried to take them out but, to no avail..."

When using Microsoft Word to type up a post it (Word) places formating into whatever you are writing and some forums that run on vBulletin, like SMC, will display the formatting symbols when you paste it into the forum text box. You can remove it by first doing a 'Preview Post' then return to the forum text box and remove the extra formating stuff.