Thread: New to me heater in shop

New to me heater in shop

I'm moving on from a wood stove to a hanging heater for my shop. Anyway I got a hanging heater (used) and the guy I got it from said it was setup for propane. A similar unit new goes for $700 and that is why I bought used. Anyway I get it home and I see a small black box on the back that says Warning...Natural gas only. The guy swears it was being used with propane. Anyone know anything about heaters of this type?
    Thanks for any helpHeater.jpg

Further info....the black box I referred to has electrics running to & from it.....the actual gas valve says it has been converted to LP gas which I believe is propane.

Most gas appliances can use either propane gas or natural gas, but require slight modification - depending on which is used. The density, BTU content, etc. is different for the two fuels. Even natural gas (a mixture of gases) fuel content can vary by location or supplier.

Just like a gas grill, your heater may need a different fuel supply orifice (at the mixing port) to function at rated capacity on your chosen fuel. If the previous owner changed the orifice, he should have re-labeled the unit (typically part of the conversion kit). If you run it with the wrong orifice, the air:fuel ratio may be off spec.

If you have doubts, you can probably get a conversion kit from the manufacturer. Just to be sure.

What Malcom said. Yes, LP is propane. Just about any gas appliance can be converted back and forth between propane and natural gas by changing an orfice. It sounds like your's is already set up for LP.

BTW, those are great heaters.

Thank you for your input guys..... :-)

I just acquired a propane (LP) furnace for the shop. It also has a sticker which states "Natural Gas Only". BUT - there's ANOTHER sticker on it which states that it has been converted to LP, stamped with a date.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Thanks Roy.....makes me feel better. Are you going to use a double or triple wall flue? The guy I bought it from says all it needs is a single wall flue vented to the outside wall.....not above the roof.

If your vent is going through a concrete or concrete block wall I would agree, but if going through a combustible material wall or roof, you should provide some type of air gap or insulated device to keep the thin pipe away from the combustible material. They make special chimney pass throughs like this for this reason. If this heater is a "high efficiency type" that only requires a PVC vent pipe, then this does not apply and you can run the PVC pipe right against the combustible wall or roof. Look at the flue connection on your furnace and download a manual to find out which it needs. Don't try to convert it. Do it right or you may burn your shop down.

Charley

Sage advice Charley....many thanks. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Seward View Post
    Thanks Roy.....makes me feel better. Are you going to use a double or triple wall flue? The guy I bought it from says all it needs is a single wall flue vented to the outside wall.....not above the roof.
    Charley has the right idea.

In my own case, I'll get a professional in to install the proper exhaust stack for my construction. I can't imagine that anything less than double walled would work for my situation (wood frame construction.)

Best of luck to you.

+1 on Roy's comments....

I have a Reznor propane fired unit which my wife's brother and I hung. I hired a plumber - he ran the gas line and the exhaust stack - I took care of the wiring (both 110V and low voltage for the thermostat).

The gas line was some sort of flex tubing (stainless steel?), the exhaust was double wall pipe thru the (insulated) wall, then single wall the rest of the way.

Thank you Roy & Jim...that's what I'm going to do :-)