View Poll Results: Does your yearly physical include an EKG?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • My physical include an EKG

10 31.25%
  • My physical does NOT include an EKG

21 65.63%
  • My experience probably isn't relevant

1 3.13%

Thread: Is an EKG part of a routine physical?

Is an EKG part of a routine physical?

I am 62 and in good health. I changed internists this year, after moving 50 miles and thinking that was too far to go for medical care.

This old guy always did an EKG as part of my yearly physical. The new one didn't. I am just wondering what other people experiences are.
    (If you are 80, 40, or have heart problems, then your experience probably aren't relevant...)

I am 69 and have not had an EKG. My guess is that you new doctor does not think it is necessary.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

My doc said once every 5 years or so is enough.

I've had one ,just because of some periodic rapid heart beat spells. They are pretty expensive. Don't know about other places ,but here a cardiologist has to do them ,so they are nothing routine.

Blog Entries
    My doctor didn't do an EKG until I reached 60 as a matter of course during my annual physical. However, once I reached 65, they have said that medicare physicals require an EKG, but I don't think that is every year.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    However, once I reached 65, they have said that medicare physicals require an EKG, but I don't think that is every year.
    My wife and I are both on Medicare and have never heard of them requiring EKG.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 07-27-2016 at 6:10 PM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

My doc does an EKG on me at each physical. I think EKG's have gotten so cheap that he does it as a matter of routine.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike, it is not matter of how expensive to the doctor to do it - he will charge insurance for it. Not everybody needs ECG every year or even 5 years. Many factors in play - age, past medical history, health condition, family history. American Cardiology Association changing algorithm or decision making criteria very often.
    But in general - you don't need it every year.
    Ed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    My doc does an EKG on me at each physical. I think EKG's have gotten so cheap that he does it as a matter of routine.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

Mike

I think you're right. An EKG (required annually for FAA first class physicals after a certain age) add I think $15 to the exam where I go.

Okay, so 70% don't get them

My new physician is in the majority then.
    She did ask if my relatives had cardiac issues; perhaps that led her to leave it out.

I've had an EKG as part of my annual physical for my entire working life. I have to wear various forms of respirators though, so it could be a company insurance type of requirement.
    If they want you to start doing PFT's, tell them, NO!. They hurt. (I take one of these annually also.)
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

It makes sense to have an ECG done when you're healthy (i.e. not having cardiorespiratory issues) because that provides a baseline that's useful in interpreting any later cardiograms you have done when you might be having symptoms (obviously chest pain, but also dizziness/lightheadedness; fainting or near fainting; shortness of breath particularly with any kind of exertion; back pain and/or left arm/jaw pain; stroke like symptoms; etc.; -- all of those should prompt you to get, at minimum, an ECG.)

Irregular heart rhythms are mostly electrical rather than cardiovascular in nature but can also be serious enough to require medical attention and can usually be seen on an ECG or by wearing a portable monitor for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    It makes sense to have an ECG done when you're healthy (i.e. not having cardiorespiratory issues) because that provides a baseline that's useful in interpreting any later cardiograms you have done when you might be having symptoms (obviously chest pain, but also dizziness/lightheadedness; fainting or near fainting; shortness of breath particularly with any kind of exertion; back pain and/or left arm/jaw pain; stroke like symptoms; etc.; -- all of those should prompt you to get, at minimum, an ECG.)
    When I switched GP's at our clinic, my new GP gave me an ECG and told me the same thing: Establish a baseline when you're healthy.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep