Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stacking washer and dryer

Stacking washer and dryer

I would like feedback from people who have a full size stacking washer and dryer. The area where our current washer and dryer are is narrow and I took the latch off the door that opens into the room to keep it from scratching the dryer. Now we are planning to redo that area and are planning to stack the washer and dryer.
    So, I would like to know what brand you have and how you like it if you have a stacked set. It would be helpful to know why you don't like it if that is the case. Thanks.

Bob

We're on our second set of stacked washer and dryer. The brand is Frigidaire and the first washer could have been repaired but was 18 years old so we replaced. The new set is larger than the old and is proving to be a long reach to unload the washer. That is a bit of an issue as we are elderly and it is inconvenient. I wish that I had set them on a platform instead of stacking them and may still have that done if swmbo says so.

Performance wise, front loaders are in many ways superior to top loaders.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

The last 3 houses I have done all used stacked washer and dryer. The clients wanted them out of sight and minimal space. One of these is my daughter in law's. She is not tall and loves the layout. We use Miele brand. They cost a bit more but they are great, especially the dryer that also dries the exhaust air so you don't get condensation everywhere. Cheers

Blog Entries
    hmmm... Can I add my question to the discussion?
    -- What about those small footprint stacked sets?
    -- What about ventless? Those things are big in Europe and I understand that apartments and condo designers are starting to use them.

We have a stacked set of inexpensive Whirlpool front loaders that we've had for about 5 years now, and are very happy with them.
    The only issue is that the doors open in opposite directions, which can complicate transferring from washer to dryer in tight spaces.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Usually you can change the way the door opens.

Most of the stackable dryers vent to the left and let you push the units up to the wall. Some will vent to the right.
    There are many documented issues with front loaders, but they save water and space.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    What about those small footprint stacked sets?
    The all-in-one units are spendy.

I don't know if this is an option for you but thought I would mention anyway. The door to my laundry room was an issue so I did a little work to the door and frame to convert it to barn door style. Then I rehung it on barn door hardware. Now it slides and doesn't take space for the swing. Only a few inches along the wall when it slides open. It is left open most of the time.

I had a stacked LG front loader and dryer in my last place. The only problem was that the closet they were in was too shallow to shut the closet door without shutting the washer door. You MUST leave the door open on a front loading washer between uses or it WILL develop an odor. No problems with stacking, though.

Bob, The door I am talking about is one from the garage, so I don't think your solution would work very well for me. Sounds like it was a good solution for you though. Thanks for replying.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Grier View Post
    I don't know if this is an option for you but thought I would mention anyway. The door to my laundry room was an issue so I did a little work to the door and frame to convert it to barn door style. Then I rehung it on barn door hardware. Now it slides and doesn't take space for the swing. Only a few inches along the wall when it slides open. It is left open most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    We have a stacked set of inexpensive Whirlpool front loaders that we've had for about 5 years now, and are very happy with them.
    The only issue is that the doors open in opposite directions, which can complicate transferring from washer to dryer in tight spaces.
    Our Whirlpool Duet frontloaders, , the dryer door is reversible, just swap the hinge and latch assembly...
    DSC05276.jpg
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 07-28-2016 at 1:55 AM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    I had a stacked LG front loader and dryer in my last place. The only problem was that the closet they were in was too shallow to shut the closet door without shutting the washer door. You MUST leave the door open on a front loading washer between uses or it WILL develop an odor. No problems with stacking, though.
    I dont leave it open. But I do run the cleaning tablets through it regularly and dont have any issue with odor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Our Whirlpool Duet frontloaders, , the dryer door is reversible, just swap the hinge and latch assembly...
    DSC05276.jpg
    Actually, my problem is with the washer door swing direction.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vavricka View Post
    I would like feedback from people who have a full size stacking washer and dryer. The area where our current washer and dryer are is narrow and I took the latch off the door that opens into the room to keep it from scratching the dryer. Now we are planning to redo that area and are planning to stack the washer and dryer.
    So, I would like to know what brand you have and how you like it if you have a stacked set. It would be helpful to know why you don't like it if that is the case. Thanks.
    Bob I have GE frontload washer and dryer stacked in wash area in hallway to our back door in a double wide mobile home. Ceiling is vaulted and units are against the rear outside wall where the ceiling is maybe less than a foot above the top of the dryer. I had to stack them due to them being deeper than what I replaced. The dryer had to been placed on top of the washer so it could be vented from the side instead of from the rear. It allowed around 6 inches more room in front of the stacked units than we could have done with the vent going out the rear.

Stacking the dryer let both units go almost against the wall which helped a lot more than you would think 6 inches or so would matter. I had to custom build the cord for the dryer with it sitting on top of the washer. The biggest issue for me was we (my wife and I) had to put the dryer on top of the washer in our living room as the ceiling height was greater there. Then put super sliders furniture mover pads under the feet and slide the stacked units through our dining room, then through the kitchen and down the narrow hallway to where they had to go. Had to remove closet door knobs to get down the hall with them. Had to knock out the side opening and reroute the metal ductwork inside the dryer from rear outlet to side outlet after getting the stacked units close to home. Used metal duct and 2 elbows with everything taped with metal tape for good seal and also to hold everything in position.

This worked great until.....

Washing machine started shaking much more just awhile back. My wife informed me one morning she had to stop it that night after I went to bed, because during the spin cycle it began to shake very bad, then she started smelling "rubber burning" and seeing smoke. To condense this, the spider that is in the back side of the basket the clothes go in broke on one of the three arms it has. This caused a wobble and bad out of round and vibration problem when the machine is spinning (high speed spin @1100 rpm on this model. New one replacing it I believe is 1300 rpm) I had to take pipe loose, get super slider pads again (several years since set up) then push the stacked units back down the hall and into the living room to remove the dryer and tear the washer apart. $442 later I had a new basket and got to do everything again and go back down the dining room, kitchen and hallway and set it back into place.

With the model I have, if the belt breaks it can be accessed from a metal panel that is removable from the back side of the washer. Pretty much anything else you have to do inside the machine will require the dryer being removed and the top of the washer removed then proceed from there. The control board is in the top front of the machine, but you have to remove the TOP completely as step one because the top covers up the screws that have to be removed to go further.

It was cheaper for us to repair the washer as I did it myself than get a new one, which was what all the local appliance repair shops I called for prices on the basket recommended I do. I didn't need a dryer. And with our models no longer being manufactured, I didn't know if a new model washer from GE would let me place my old dryer on top of it like matching models did. I realize not many people take on appliance repairs and with the cost of the basket and had I needed the outer shell with bearings that cannot be bought from GE the parts alone would have been equal to a new washer cost. Don't know what labor would add to the job, but again if stacked the dryer is on top of the washing machine and MUST be removed to work on the basket issue.

I am pleased with the washer, yet I am disappointed to find out of a seemingly very common problem that many models seem to have. It is a very big shock to spend nearly $2000 on a washer and dryer and about 8 years later have a major part fail that cost so much to replace. Stacking them was the only way I could still use the main entry we use in our home without turning sideways to get by them.
    Last edited by Mike Lassiter; 07-28-2016 at 6:46 PM.
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.