Thread: Running bench grinder with only one wheel?

Running bench grinder with only one wheel?

I don't usually lurk here much, but from what I have read, Turners are master grinders and experts on CBN.

Have a two speed grinder, got a CBN 180 grit wheel. The other wheel is a traditional 60 grit pink one. With both on, the grinder vibrates a lot. I have tried to true the pink wheel and stabilize it, but it's still bad, and the cheap bushings are also not helping. But I don't want to spend more time tinkering with it because eventually I will get a 80 grit CBN. I removed the pink wheel and ran the grinder with only the CBN. No vibration now.

so, here's my question. Is anything wrong/dangerous with running the grinder with just the one wheel? The CBN does a wonderful job and has rendered the pink one (even being a coarser one) unnecessary for my limited needs.

I don't see any reason not to.

Nope. I've done it with no issues.

As the other guys say, no problem. If metal polishing for chrome, grinders get used with all sorts of combinations of wheels on one side or the other. The out of balance wheel will destroy your bearings. Break it in half and bin it. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Wonderful. Thank you guys!

Getting a good bushing from some of the fastener places would be a quick fix for the pink wheel, till you get your 80 CBN...

robo hippy

Blog Entries
    The only down side to running only one wheel would be the rotating inertia. You grinder should come up to speed faster and, if you bear down a little, your grinder will slow down faster. Other than that, the bad wheel is doing far more harm than good.

Oneway sells some special balancing gizmos.