Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What type of scroll saw should I buy?

Jim, Craftsman has a nice VS saw that normally goes for 179.00 or so that can be had or was for around 100.00 with CC club discounts. Not a bad saw at all from what i have read. I know that Tod Davidson here has that saw. Delta has always had good blade holders.

I don't have much vibration with my current saw and my previous Delta had a little bit. I used some cheap carpet pad stuff I put under my previous saw. Actually I think it was one of those cheap rubber sanding and router pads for your workbench. I also put some between the saw and the stand when I bolted it together, but you have to be carefull when doing this you don't torque the saw casting and make it flex. It really helped make the saw sit level on the concrete and remove any vibration associated with that. Made it very acceptable. If you get alot of vibration with the delta the sandbox certainly should help, definitely can't hurt.

A Hawk would certainly be a dream saw! Besure to post pics when you get the saw. I like seeing scroll saw posts , don't see much scroll saw work posted here at all!
    Corey

Sanding belts for scroll saw

I have a hawk scroll saw,but i am trying to find sanding belts or what ever there called,they have a metal backing,Ive seen them in a catalog but cant find them now. Thanks Jimmy Tallent

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dannels
    As I said in a previous post, I`ll probably buy an entry level machine in addition to the Hawk. I have my eye on a 16" Delta @ $99 I like the blade clamps on that machine.
    Since i have noticed most of the smaller machines vibrate, I had been thinking of mounting it on a 2" thick box, filled with sand to absorb vibration on the stand. Simular to ballasting a lathe.
    Has anyone tried this or do you see any negatives
    I can tell you that it should work. I attached mine to a very heavy wooden bench and it has much less vibration that when it was attached to the little 18 inch square stand made out of 2x4s. I als added s rubber mat under it and that helped to. It cuts at a speed which is fast enough for my skill level and doesnt burn the wood. I am also not in a race to finish things either.
    What if the light at the end of the tunnel is a train?