Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: linking lights question

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Boehm View Post
    Hey there,

***EDIT*** Sorry I forgot this was residential so you should only have a 15amp branch circuit so you could only have a 12amp load on it.
    What makes you think that you can't have 20 amp branch circuits for outlets in a residential application?

Also, where did you come up with the calculation to determine loading per duplex receptacle on a general purpose branch circuit? I've been in the electric industry for almost 30 years and that's a new one to me.
    Last edited by John Lanciani; 08-10-2016 at 2:55 PM.

I realize that dwelling unit loads are calculated differently than other use buildings but I was trying to help the OP take into account that it is a "shop space" which usually is used to run larger equipment with more draw. If he calculates the loads based on dwelling calculations he could run the risk of overloading the circuit because dwellings calculations do not take into account several larger loads being applied to multiple circuits on the same branch. That is why I used the more stringent calculations from the NEC. Plus I know nothing about the current space he is talking about so using these calculations would be best.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Boehm View Post
    I realize that dwelling unit loads are calculated differently than other use buildings but I was trying to help the OP take into account that it is a "shop space" which usually is used to run larger equipment with more draw. If he calculates the loads based on dwelling calculations he could run the risk of overloading the circuit because dwellings calculations do not take into account several larger loads being applied to multiple circuits on the same branch. That is why I used the more stringent calculations from the NEC. Plus I know nothing about the current space he is talking about so using these calculations would be best.
    He wants to install less than 400 watts of overhead lighting in his garage to replace what is already there. No need to get wrapped around the axle on this one; it is a residential lighting circuit, not a commercial receptacle or equipment feed circuit.

Potato patato.... Considering he was asking a DIY electrical question and involved the words "google" I felt it best to err on the side of caution.