Thread: Mobile base for Nova 1644?

Mobile base for Nova 1644?

I'd like to make my Nova lathe mobile. I would have thought Nova would offer a mobile base as an accessory, but they do not. In my mind's eye I see lifters on both ends. When engaged, the lathe would move on casters and when disengaged would rest on substantial legs. Any recommendations?

Larry

I did something like this with my Jet 12/36 lathe.

I used this product, ordered from Amazon:
    Woodtek 163703, Hardware, Casters And Glides, Furniture & Cabinet, Workbench Stepdown Caster Set, 4 Each

I installed the casters on a framed platform, to which the legs of the lathe were screwed down, also. I added leveling legs to the platform, which engage with the floor only when the casters are flipped up. I then added four 70# bags of sand, to provide some ballast for what is a fairly light lathe. Works pretty well, allowing me to roll-out onto the concrete apron outside the front of my workshop, on a balmy day.

Bump to the top, anything new to add a mobility kit to the Nova Galaxi 1644?

Anyone know if the Lift lock and Roll mobility kit is compatible with the Nova Galaxi 1644?

cart2.jpg

It's a 1624. This was the stand for my previous lathe, so I just added casters. I roll it out of the shop which makes the shavings and dust easier to deal with. All the gouges and other tools are on board as well.

Quote Originally Posted by richard shelby View Post
    cart2.jpg

It's a 1624. This was the stand for my previous lathe, so I just added casters. I roll it out of the shop which makes the shavings and dust easier to deal with. All the gouges and other tools are on board as well.

Thats a a really nice setup, my only concern is the weight rating for the casters, the lathe weighs around 450 lbs, and the workbench casters are rated to around 400 lbs, and many reviews say that it’s best to keep the weight under 300 lbs.

i wouldnt bother making a stand stand like yours as mine came on a nice stand, but I would drill holes in the cast iron base for the casters.
    Last edited by Bill Dindner; 10-18-2018 at 8:19 AM.

I made this simple cam actuated lifter for my Jet 1642. Works well and no problems after 8 years of moving the lathe regularly. 450 lbs no problem and several folks have installed similar on PM 3520 as well.
    IMGP5889.jpg

IMGP5884_1.jpg

Note: The stripes on the legs are crooked, not the casters Also, the retaining nut on the right side caster wasn't tightened down when I snapped the pic hence the noticeable tilt
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 10-18-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    Dick Mahany.