Thread: My first all walnut bowl shaped thing :)

My first all walnut bowl shaped thing :)

Hiya All ! hope everyone is well I just finished my first Walnut "almost looks like a bowl"IMG_20160728_210458414.jpgIMG_20160728_210210099_HDR.jpg although compared to awesome stuff you all are doing I kinda feel like I'm lying when I say I turn bowls thank you all for the help and advice and have a great day !
    Thanks for looking , S.

2. For a first, this is pretty nice, Steve. I see some elements of form, consistent wall thickness that could be improved upon, but those will come to you if you study bowl form as you see others works posted, and with more of these under your belt. Nice finish!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Great 1st bowl.

Very well done. My first was a walnut explosion. I glued it back together (what pieces I could find) to remind me of what not to do.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

It looks like a bowl to me! Actually reminds me of my own first walnut bowl.

Great work!

Blog Entries
    Nice job. Got a love Walnut.

Great looking bowl Steve. Your coming along nicely.

Thank you All very much! I have tons of improvement to do but I love trying so that helps Mr Chandler you are absolutely right I feel like Form /Design are my biggest issues ,I think when I'm turning I feel like it looks good to me but I also think that I'm still a little scared of explosions or flying wooden shards of death and that plays a big part in how the bowl comes out ,but I learn a whole lot from you all on here and AAW forums that helps a ton Thank you all again !

I think it looks pretty good, whether the first or tenth.

Very simple form with a lot of class--very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Russell tucker View Post
    Thank you All very much! I have tons of improvement to do but I love trying so that helps Mr Chandler you are absolutely right I feel like Form /Design are my biggest issues ,I think when I'm turning I feel like it looks good to me but I also think that I'm still a little scared of explosions or flying wooden shards of death and that plays a big part in how the bowl comes out ,but I learn a whole lot from you all on here and AAW forums that helps a ton Thank you all again !
    Nice first bowl, really nice finish Steve! Great to hear you say "I love trying...." Me, too, love the process, which is good for us beginners. As far as form goes, you might want to take a look at The Art of Turned Bowlsby Richard Raffan. It has really helped me start to develop an understanding of how the elements, proportions, etc., work together to please the eye. Very well written and illustrated.

WOW thank you again!!, compliments like that from you all, Is the equivalent of Muhammad Ali saying you throw a great Jab !! thank you so much!