View Poll Results: Where to place router?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Move it and save space

5 18.52%
  • Keep it in it's own Table

22 81.48%

Thread: Moving Router into workbench

Moving Router into workbench

Hello Everyone,

I was hoping to get the opinions of the community on whether or not I should move my router into my actual workbench or leave it as a standalone.

My "shop" is a corner of my garage that probably measures something like 15 x 30 feet - so it is really tight. I have a 80"x36" workbench, a router table, a mobile table saw and several other moveable tool carts.

I want to add a miter saw and build a better table saw station but I am already pretty tight on space as it is. I was considering moving my router from it's own table into one side of my actual workbench to save space ... anyone think this is a terrible idea? I use my router in the table less than I would use those other tools so for priority sake that's why I am thinking of doing this.

Thanks for any opinions!!

Blog Entries
    Many "space saving" setups and methods work well for some and not for others. I could probably more easily place a router table function into an assembly table than in a workbench. I make a lot of parts but, major assembly comes in intervals and is over pretty quickly. I am also not likely using the router table while I am using the assembly table. Not true for the router table and workbench for me. You will be the person to give you your best recommendation on this one I think.

If you really want to save space, lose the miter saw. Like a RAS, this tool takes up so much space for the job it does I left it behind years ago. Again, that me. Your type of work may involve a lot of long thin stock that needs angles cut on the end. You may do a lot of compound angle cuts for crown-like joinery. If this is the case, the miter saw is your go-to. For me, the times I have "needed" a mitersaw over the last decade can be counted on two fingers. Both times it made trimming out a room for someone else easier on the job site, not in my shop.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-29-2016 at 8:37 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a router in my outfeed/assembly table and tablesaw wing. I wouldnt put it the workbench, but thats just me. I have a small shop too and no room for a separate router table.

My shop is small too, 14x24 feet. I have a router table setup in the auxiliary table of my table saw but after making it, I made a separate router table that I mainly use. I found I wanted to use the table saw when I had the router set up and there was a conflict. I could have made it work but I figured out how to have about 2 feet square space for the router table (4 or 5 square feet). A setup I think is very interesting, especially for really constrained shops is Ron Paulk total station. I think it is 3 by 6 feet and can be taken down and stored. It includes space for a CMS (Ron uses the Kapek but you could put whatever you want in it (I would not get a Kapek), a portable table saw, and a router table. Ron is a carpenter and says this workstation is usually all he needs. Something to look into, perhaps. I built a workbench based upon Ron's ideas (3x7) and another surface on my CMS/RAS bench similar to his workbench, but smaller. The two level surface is very handy and the top of relatively thin plywood with 20mm holes is versatile. I also made Ron's crosscut jig for my track saw for the workbench. You can do a lot with a smaller table saw and a track saw and it doesn't have to take up a lot of space.

The answer is 100% dependent on your personal workflow needs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It's hard to argue with Jim's response. In my case, I prefer a separate table because I like my router table to be several inches higher than my bench or table saw. I do some rather small pieces frequently and feel that it's easier on my back and easier to achieve precision work at that height.

BTW, welcome to SMC.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Like the others mentioned it is totally a decision that only you can make based on how and what you work on. Personally I like the router to have its own table so that I can move it around and keep it very versatile.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Thanks a lot for the replies guys...really great stuff to think about.

I think in the end I'm not going to put it in my bench....I love my bench too much and like the space.

I'll definitely look into all suggestions above

Cheers

Good decision!!

Sounds to me like you need a benchtop router table, and a place to store it, like maybe drilling a hole in the top and hanging it on the wall when not in use.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

@Rick Potter

I actually was thinking the exact same thing except I can make that I've heard of people creating a bench top router table that they secure by creating a lip to clamp into their bench vise. I don't have a huge bench vise so I was actually considering creating a base than fits into my dogholes and creating a clamp based on that.

I wasn't entirely happy with my original table anyways so I may rebuild it with a new top/fence but make it just tall enough to fit the router and then create some type of base like the above!

Thanks again all!

Good decision. I hope it serves you well.