Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What You Should Be Learning

What You Should Be Learning

There are endless threads about sharpening tools here. Every day it seems someone posts a new one. But,sharpening is not an end in itself. I have seen more convoluted ways to sharpen than I care to recall! The worst is BUFFING your edges.

Sharpening is important,and it was the first thing I taught to the dozens of apprentices I taught over the years in schools or in the museum where I worked for 40 years.

BUT,there is something even more important to learn: GOOD TASTE. And PERSONAL SKILL. The first of these is the more difficult to develop. There is so much JUNK out there,it is difficult,I know,for a beginner to separate the wheat from the chaff. I have been dismayed by the utter garbage I have seen shown in woodworking magazines over the years. It isn't getting any better,either. Certainly it is not ALL BAD,but some of it is terrible,and should never have gotten past the staff,HAD THEY KNOWN BETTER! Incorrect information in articles really irritates me also. I wish the editors knew enough to catch these errors. But,they do not seem to.

Beware of newly done WRITTEN material. Just because someone writes a book,or has a blog does NOT,by any means at all, insure that they are master craftsmen. I have met many authors,and I can tell you that some people like to make things,and some like to WRITE things. Every little project becomes an article,and they make money at it. OLD material is better to study as a general rule. Pre requisites used to be TIGHTER! There are modern masters,but sorting them out can be a difficult,if not impossible job for the beginner. I saw a young man at a gun show pick up a TERRIBLE hunting knife with a LARGE,FAT,MISSHAPEN handle,and declare that it was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen! My journeyman Jon and I just smiled at each other. But,mostly smiles of dismay.

How do you learn WHAT is good design? I recommend studying OLD books on woodworking,some of which have been re printed. The books written in the WWI period are good ones to study. They have representative prints of carvings which are good study pieces. You can even get MOLDED pieces of carvings that are sold to be glued to projects. These molded bits are at least taken from OLD and TASTEFUL original carvings,for the most part. I mean the ones with acanthus leaves flowing gracefully in C and S curves.

I have a craftsman friend who has GOOD TASTE. She bought a few odd pieces of brass parts from the 16th. C.. at a gun show. Picked up in the muddy banks along the Thames river in London. They were not very expensive,being just bits and pieces. But,the engraving on them was valuable as study pieces. These were also coined in places,and a study of how they were made was also valuable.

Another good way to learn good design is to visit museums where they have 18th. C. originals to look at. Frequently,they offer books with pictures of their collections. I will leave out 19th. C. work,because as far as furniture is concerned,it started to go in all directions,with smatterings of design from here and there. Those "gingerbread" decorated houses are ridiculous in my opinion. And,mine is a learned opinion,developed over a lifetime of woodworking and metal working. And,a talent for it in the first place.

My favorite period for studying tools ,however,IS the 19th. C.. This is when tool making reached its zenith. The most artistic handles for saws were developed in the 19th. C.,and the development of "stuffed" planes also reached its zenith. Some atrocious planes can be found,of course,but for the most part,you will find well designed planes and saws made in the 19th. C..

When I was in the 8th. grade,I use to go to the school library and trace ink drawings of historic sailing ships. My favorite book was by Gordon Grant. I recently found a copy for my home library,after an absence from it of many,many years. Tracing these ships allowed my brain to absorb details and curves so much better than just looking at the pictures because I had to carefully draw every little piece. I am sure the good designs found in these old ships helped me to develop taste,among other things. Indeed,in Alaska,there was not much available in the way of cultural things to study! I always lived in the most out of the way places all of my young life. It is a wonder I learned anything.

What I am suggesting is learning to USE your tools. Not just how to sharpen them.

Next,if you are LUCKY enough to have a worthy teacher,be prepared to receive constructive CRITICISM without becoming angry. DO LIKE ME,and find out what needs improving,and BUCKLE DOWN and MAKE IT BETTER. THAT is how you get somewhere.
    Last edited by george wilson; 07-30-2016 at 10:59 AM.

George,

I see articles in woodworking magazines where pieces are made that to my eye are gaudy. Proportions are strained, and inlays are "in your face" and seem like a gaudy end in themselves. Of course I like conservative well done simple lines.

Is this the kind of thing you are talking about? Please elaborate.

Stew

This is a very difficult question to answer. Highly elaborate pieces need not be gaudy. It depends on how tastefully they are done.

This guitar I made is not gaudy,though a FEW(maybe 2 I know of) who need more education have branded it as such. It is mentioned in one blog,I know of. Out of jealousy. I made it because I liked the challenge,and it was made to order, though for my personal use, I prefer restraint.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by george wilson; 07-29-2016 at 7:53 PM.

What do you think of Sam Maloof's work?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Edited for brevity:

BUT,there is something even more important to learn: GOOD TASTE. And PERSONAL SKILL. The first of these is the more difficult to develop. There is so much JUNK out there,it is difficult,I know,for a beginner to separate the wheat from the chaff. I have been dismayed by the utter garbage I have seen shown in woodworking magazines over the years. It isn't getting any better,either. Certainly it is not ALL BAD,but some of it is terrible,and should never have gotten past the staff,HAD THEY KNOWN BETTER!

Just because someone writes a book,or has a blog does NOT,by any means at all, insure that they are master craftsmen.
    I have written posts with pictures of my work with procedures and I can guarantee I am not a master craftsman.

One of the magazine articles that set me off a bit called for 6' long by 15" wide pine boards. I haven't seen any of those here on the west coast. Maybe it is common in the east, but it isn't something off the rack at any of the merchants in my travels.

A few years back there was a bit of controversy about someone suggesting one of the first things you do with your new premium plane is to lap the sole.

Years ago my position on lapping was rather indifferent, "go ahead, what can it hurt? Well, it can hurt a lot if done poorly. Now my position is that it is something one should only do if is possible to prove it is the sole of the plane being bad causing a problem. In other words only lap the sole if you can demonstrate lapping is needed.

Another thing that kind of turns me off to FWW in general is everything seems to be power tools and plywood. I am not much of a fan of either.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 07-29-2016 at 7:40 PM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I know that Maloof's work is very popular. It is not quite to my own taste,but I would not call it badly designed. What I have seen,I'd call a re design of Colonial period chairs,for example. I liked them better without being re designed!

If I am asked to critique well known woodworkers,it will only start a huge war,so I'd rather not.

Jim,we are going to be lucky if we can even get DECENT plywood in the future. Pieces of flattened soccer balls and wire fences have been found inside Chinese imported plywood. I suggest that EVERY piece you buy be gives a VERY CAREFUL check over!!

I hope that it does not become the only plywood that is made. We can only blame ourselves. The American public demands LOW prices,which leads to this sort of thing. The Chinese can make perfectly good products,but not for nearly nothing.

As an unusual fact,I have seen in an early 18th. C. piano,actual plywood. But,hand made! Made where strength in both directions was needed. And,not a large sheet. In a part about 4" x 12" in a rare, early,English,small piano.
    Last edited by george wilson; 07-29-2016 at 7:58 PM.

I have several friends that are artist.I know i don't have the eye they do.They just see things way different.
    I believe some people are born with the eye for design other like me have to live a very long time to develop it.
    Its just a really long road unless your just straight out copying work from a master.
    Nothing wrong with that. Its not the easy way out.

Copying is better than striking out and making something BAD,if this is your limitation. You are bound to have some design rub off on you by making copys. I HAD to copy tools when I was toolmaker. But,I really prefer to design on my own. I can use historically correct details that I designed myself,as on the marquetry guitar shown above. If you don't get the details correct,it is just so much garbage,really.

The trouble with only EVER copying things like furniture,is that you are forever only regarded as a copyist,not a creative artist.

I have mixed thoughts on this. I try to keep an open mind...beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say.

I enjoy a museum of classic art. However, I often find little to appreciate at museums of modern art. My parents hated the music I listened to in the 70s, and I'm not fond of the music my kids listen to today. Every generation brings changes with a touch of rebellion that creates the new "taste" for that generation.

I don't tend to call it bad taste, or wrong - it's just different - and while I may not like whatever it is, I can appreciate someone's' exploration into something beyond the status quo.

This good advice. The best way to learn is by making things. If you screw it up so be it you will learn from your mistakes. While I am far from a craftsman I like to incorporate ideas from other craftsman. I made an entertainment center and added some Krenvov design into it by adding some arches to the lower half. I also used his way of using dowels to have the top over hang. You could call it Krenvov inspired.

Use furniture in your house to help with proportions like chair or table height. Also full size drawings help you see how a piece may look before you cut any wood.
    Don

Blog Entries
    Its just a really long road unless your just straight out copying work from a master.
    Nothing wrong with that. Its not the easy way out.
    One of the ways we were taught when I was taking classes was to copy the styles of the masters.

As George mentioned, some of it rubs off on the student.

There was also a lot of discovery in class. Pencil drawing started off with drawing nothing but vertical lines. Some of the students just filled a page with lines all the same length from top to bottom. Others including my self would make spheres, triangles and many other shapes using only vertical lines. We were never told we couldn't use different widths of lines. As people had their personal epiphanies they were granted the use of horizontal lines.

A person may not be born with a design sense, but it can be learned.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

George, thank you for this thread. I know that there are those who enjoy a sharpening thread, but I find them frustrating since they really represent an elementary step along the way - important, but still elementary. My own interest lies with design and how to achieve this with sound construction. Technique in tool use and ergonomics of tools (part of design) are part of this picture.

I am dismayed when a thread begins about a piece of furniture, and a reader shows more interest in the tool than the technique of using the tool. Still, I strive to be tolerant (I could do with more practice) because this just illustrates that the range of interests on this forum are wide.

I would welcome a discussion on the design of contemporary furniture makers. That is one way to train the eye what to look for. I always look forward to something of yours posted here, since it generally comes with an analysis of the design. I learn something new each time.

And like yourself, I have been bemused at the gushings on some forums for shopmade or custom handplanes that I consider to have poor proportions and look clumsy. Is beauty in the eye of the beholder, or are some less blind than others?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have me own ways of working in the shop. Drafting class in the Ind. Arts Class was way back about 1968, in High School. Never claimed to be a Designer, and been told that more than a few times....

I do show with my projects, what works for me, and what I need the project to be when done. Long ago, I quit trying to sell my projects, the selling part was taking away from just doing something with wood. I mean, after about a 130+ chest-of-drawers sold, it was getting a bit old. Then, it was more about how FAST I could turn them out, rather than just doing things to relax after a long day at the "day Job" Scaled things WAY back. If someone would show me a picture, and a list of sizes, I MIGHT still be able to do that.

The boat comment is interesting because you can't lie to boats, they'll tell you when you did it wrong in the most direct way possible.

Blog Entries
    And like yourself, I have been bemused at the gushings on some forums for shopmade or custom handplanes that I consider to have poor proportions and look clumsy. Is beauty in the eye of the beholder, or are some less blind than others?
    I am more interested in how well a plane does the task at hand than its appearance. It should also be relatively comfortable and easy to use.

I am not interested in a plane that was made to be set on a shelf only to be held when it is being dusted or polished.

jtk