Thread: Musclechuck Router Chuck

Musclechuck Router Chuck

For several months now I have been using the Musclechuck on my Porter Cable 7518 motor in my CNC Router. The chuck has worked flawlessly and it a great improvement over the old chucks that require two wrenches and two hands to install and remove router bits. This chuck is available on Amazon for a variety of routers, the cost seems to run between 70 to 100 dollars (US) depending on the router model it fits. All that is required to change router bits is one hex wrench.

The Musclechuck natively accepts 1/2" bits, for smaller bit diameters you purchase collets. The 1/4" collet is 35 dollars on Amazon. Honestly I believe that the Musclechuck is now a mandatory accessory for my router table and hand held routers in my shop. They are a bit pricey but worth every penny for any router motor that's used frequently and bit changes are made often. On my CNC Router bit changes are frequent so the convenience is well worth the cost of the chuck.

I purchased the 3/8", 1/4" and 1/8" collets with my Muclechuck and a Reid T handle hex wrench that has hardened hex ends so it should last a very long time.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-29-2016 at 8:10 PM.

I've used a similar if not the same Chuck, on my router table for many years. And yes it's a great addition to the shop, but 35 bucks for an 8 dollar
    reducing collet is way out of line.

I have had the same experience as Ken for a couple of years of constant use. I have seen no disadvantages and one huge benefit. Bit changes take only a small fraction of the time they used to. I use 1/16" bits with 1/4" shafts from time to time and there isn't enough runout to cause any problems.

I've had Eliminator quick change chucks on my DW621 and DW625 routers for many years. They are excellent. The one on my 625 is the XL version which seems to be no longer available. It's a great addition on the Router Boss.

The reducing sleeves are only $13.00. In addition to the sizes shown at the link above, there are also sleeves for 1/8", 3/16", 5/16", and 3/8".

I wonder if some of the third party reducers would work well with the MuscleChuck, e.g. Amazon recommends the Whiteside reducer ($10.80) for use with the MuscleChuck https://www.amazon.com/Whiteside-Rou...BA49MN3CKC537X
    Mark McFarlane

From what I have learned there are a couple of differences in some of these quick chucks. Some use a cam action to tighten the chuck and the Musclechuck is a squeeze type chuck similar to the standard and the precision chucks. The Musclechuck requires that you align the split in the collet with the split in the chuck when you are using collets.

Interesting...I have a 7518 in my Unilift and changing bits with two wrenches is a pain. With the chicks mentioned you have to come in from the side. With mine I would need a right angle Allen wrench.

Would this work and how much torque is required to loosen or tighten.

I know they pinch well.
    But do they leave a nick on the shank?
    Might take a 10x lens to see it.

Larry, I use a ball end hex wrench on mine so I can get in at a bit of an angle. Especially useful on the router in the table.

Pat, I went out to the shop and looked at my bits. There's no mark on the shanks from being secured in the Eliminator chucks.

There's no mark on the bit shanks because the Musclechuck squeezes the bit the same way a standard router chuck works.

Like Dave I use a ball end wrench so a bit of an angle works fine. You can also use a standard hex wrench with the short end of the 90 even though very little torque is required.

And zero vibration at any RPM?

Quote Originally Posted by pat warner View Post
    And zero vibration at any RPM?
    Should there be vibration du to bearing wear, or whatever, Musclechuck includes instructions for reducing it, basically trial and error: slowly rotating the chuck until you find the minimum vibration point.
    Mark McFarlane

I don't see any vibration with the Eliminator, Pat.

I haven't seen any vibration and mine did not require any adjustment. Note that because mine is installed in a CNC Router it has already seen more hours of run time than you would expect to see in a hand held router for a very long time. Its also exposed to constant changes in direction and faster speeds.