Thread: How would YOU finish this?

How would YOU finish this?

Disclaimer: total novice here! I picked up this nightstand and matching vanity at a garage sale this past weekend...I believe it is birds eye maple, correct? The finish was scuffed, yellowed and cloudy and there was quite a bit of damage to the tops so I stripped everything and have put one coat of boiled linseed oil on. My question... How would you finish this? My plan was to out another coat of BLO and then Amber shellac but I want to make sure I'm doing my due diligence and will finish it the way it needs to be finished. Open to ideas here!

Photo Jul 29, 9 55 02 AM.jpg

Photo Jul 29, 9 55 37 AM.jpg

Sarah,
    I believe that is a Mappa Burl veneered piece. It may have a stain or dye on it as it looks a little darker than most Mappa Burl that I have dealt with. Maybe the BLO darkened it a lot.
    Pictures here. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...url%20pictures

I'm no expert at finishing, but I would think the oil is fine as long as you let it dry completely before applying the shellac. Don't know if you mean pure Boiled Linseed oil or some type of mix that you purchased.
    I would make sure that the veneer is adhered everywhere before any more topcoats. You don't want to deal with that later.

Jim

Oh yes that's much closer than birds eye! That was a pure guess, but I noticed when I looked at a lot of the birds eye it was not quite the same. That already helps tremendously!

Personal preference, but I would not use amber shellac. I'd either use blonde shellac or lacquer to maximize the figure.

John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Barber View Post
    Disclaimer: total novice here! I picked up this nightstand and matching vanity at a garage sale this past weekend...I believe it is birds eye maple, correct? The finish was scuffed, yellowed and cloudy and there was quite a bit of damage to the tops so I stripped everything and have put one coat of boiled linseed oil on. My question... How would you finish this? My plan was to out another coat of BLO and then Amber shellac but I want to make sure I'm doing my due diligence and will finish it the way it needs to be finished. Open to ideas here!

Photo Jul 29, 9 55 02 AM.jpg

Photo Jul 29, 9 55 37 AM.jpg
    Take it too a professional finisher and get a qualified quote....

Wiped-on varnish. It is pretty easy to apply, and it is tougher than shellac. You can mix up your own, or you can buy varnish that's already the right consistency for wiping. Minwax has one.