Thread: Need help sourcing hinges

Need help sourcing hinges

I'm building a tool cabinet and I'm having trouble finding the kind of hinges I'm looking for. I would like to use fairly standard butt/mortise hinges, but I'd like to use hinges with removable pins. This would make installing the doors much easier. I could attach one half of each hinge to the case and doors, and then simply slip the pins in. However, I can't find this type of hinge anywhere. I know they exist. Mike Pekovich used these types of hinges in his tool cabinet for Fine Woodworking. They're just like a standard door hinge, but on a smaller scale. Anyone know where I can find them?

I've looked at Woodcraft, the borgs, Lee Valley, WW Hardware, etc.
    Blood, sweat, and sawdust

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Not sure about button tip, but you can get loose pin hinges from Whitechapel

Thank's. Whitechapel looks decent.

I don't necessarily need a button tip. I just want a good hinge with a removable pin. Looking for something dark or black. Needs to be better than stamped steel, but doesn't need to be super thick brass. Would like 6 hinges for under $100.

Try hardwaresource.com, you might have to call to find out which hinge has removable pins.

There's a related hinge which you might like. It is called a lift-off hinge. The hinge pin is permanently fastened to one leaf. You can take the door off by simply lifting up the door. Here's an example --- http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges...t-off-hinges-1

Thanks everyone. With the help of you guys, I was able to find these: http://www.houseofantiquehardware.co...1&category=106

+1 wwhardware.com.

They didn't have anything close to what I was looking for. I mentioned that in my original post.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    For a really good rolled barrel, but tight pin, hinge, check out Horton Brasses. They are great hinges and what I use on projects like you're describing. Its not that hard to install them unless your doors are really heavy.
    They might have loose pin hinges too, but I didn't see any at a quick glance of their site. Great company also.