Thread: Razor box

Razor box

As some of you may know that in addition to carving I also restore for myself and others vintage straight razors.
    This matched set of Hinkels Twin Works razors came in with the request that I design a box for them. The basic mahogany construction is simple finger joints. Mortised pocket for the lock mechanism. I routed/carved the panel and then flocked it where the razors lay.
    On the razors blade there is a design etched and gold washed which I reinterpreted on the lid. I put 23k gold in the rays. The center medallion I inlaid and then scrimshawed the twin work logo. When closed the padded lid holds the razors securely in place. It was an enjoyable break from the normal razor work and now this nice set has a fitting home.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 08-01-2016 at 4:33 AM.
    The Woodworking Studio

Very nice Mark, thanks for sharing - those razors look pretty fancy and your box is a fitting space for them. What material did you use for the center medallion?
    Karl

Mark, that is beautiful work on both the box and the razors. I am an enthusiast of wet shaving, and vintage DE razors, and although I have never shaved with a straight, I can appreciate what you are showing here from the standpoint of the excellent woodworking craftsmanship, and also the razor restoration. That is the Henckels logo, is it not?

Cheers,

Matt

Karl. That is a piece of Ivory .
    Matt. Yes that is the logo . You still see it on cutlery today.
    Ive been restoring straights for some time now and my initial foray into wet shaving was making custom brushes as well as making my own acrylics to duplicate "butterscotch".

since then my straight collection is around 500 and my DE/SE collection is 200 + along with a pile of shaving memorabilia .
    Here is a link to my razor site if you're interested.

thanks!
    Last edited by Mike Null; 08-02-2016 at 8:37 AM. Reason: removed link to web site
    The Woodworking Studio