Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Podcasts

Podcasts

I'm new to the world of Podcasts.
    What do you enjoy listening to on your MP3 player?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Revisionist history
    Americas test kitchen
    Reply All
    And the two greatest of all time: This American Life and Radio Lab.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 08-01-2016 at 8:21 AM.

I download a lot of NPR programs. This AMerican Life, Freakonomics, Planet Money, Radiolab. I also download lectures from a number of places, lately mostly Yale. They have entire courses online. http://oyc.yale.edu/. There are some there that are just fascinating - the one on the civil war and the one on astrophysics controversies are wonderful. I also find a lot of lectures on youtube, and download the audio via an app called Peggo.

I've tried the Fine woodworking shoptalk Live, but find it's a bit too chatty and slow for my taste.

I'm looking forward to other's responses - I love finding new podcasts.

Ken

Some great info so far. THANKS!

I do have one question.
    I noticed a lot of Podcasts are on Itunes. Itunes is also new to me. (I use Amazon for music) is there a cost involved with Itunes?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

My favorites right now:
    This American Life
    Snap Judgement
    Embedded
    Serial
    Outside
    Planet Money

Podcasts are awesome. You'll find it's easy and pleasant to listen and you'll wonder why you didn't start earlier. Why listen to the radio or music on your commute? Podcast. Shop time when machines aren't running, podcast. Cooking, cleaning, podcast. Working out, podcast.

Are you listening with a smartphone? If so Apple has a podcast app as does Android.

There shouldn't be a cost with iTunes, it's not like buying music. Most of the podcasts I listen to are either NPR or CPB (Center for Public Broadcating), which are funded through listener support (voluntary) and sponsors (usually the beginning of each episode has a blurb from a sponsor which you can FF).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Are you listening with a smartphone? If so Apple has a podcast app as does Android.

There shouldn't be a cost with iTunes, it's not like buying music. Most of the podcasts I listen to are either NPR or CPB (Center for Public Broadcating), which are funded through listener support (voluntary) and sponsors (usually the beginning of each episode has a blurb from a sponsor which you can FF).

I use a basic SanDisk MP3 player
    Download to my computer then transfer to the MP3 player.
    - Rick Dale

I don't listen to them frequently but Serial was fascinating.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

My regulars are: MakerCast, Making It and Shop Talk Live. Others not so frequent are Wood Talk, Modern Woodworkers Assoc and The Woodworking Podcast.

I just discovered Podcasts a couple months ago myself. So far I regularly listen to: Freakanomics and Dave Ramsey and a few church related ones. I also just started posting our church's weekly sermons as a Podcast, which prior were only available as MP3s on our website. Opens up a whole new audience.

iTunes does not charge for podcasts. It is only a directory listing of podcasts, which just about any podcaster wants to get listed on. It does not store them or anything like that.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

I am a bit of a non-partisan political junky, so I listen to:

Off Message
    So to Speak
    What's the Point
    Penn's Sunday School

I listen to mostly NPR podcasts; Fresh Air, This American Life, Car Talk but my favorite is The TED radio hour. I'm surprised no one else mentioned it.
    Gary

In addition to a couple of the ones already mentioned, I like "The Writer's Almanac" podcast. Read by Garrison Keillor, it has historical notes linked to the date, often but not always about writers, then ends with a short poem. Total running time per episode is just over 5 minutes, and new ones are posted each day. I sometimes listen to it when I have trouble falling asleep, which may not be a great endorsement!

In our time with Melvyn Bragg

No such thing as a fish

The Infinite Monkey Cage

Case Closed!

The Woodwright's Shop

Desert Island Discs

Quote Originally Posted by Caspar Hauser View Post
    In our time with Melvyn Bragg

No such thing as a fish

The Infinite Monkey Cage

Case Closed!

The Woodwright's Shop

Desert Island Discs

The Woodwrights Shop has a POD Cast?
    Have to look that one up.
    - Rick Dale