Thread: Yet another Blum undermount issue

Yet another Blum undermount issue

I'm building a chest of drawers with Blumotion undermount slides. I was careful to position the slides the same distance from the front of the cabinet. I had the drawers made elsewhere -- it was cheaper than doing it myself if I counted my labor. I've made inset drawer fronts and worked out how to attach them to the boxes to get the spacing around the fronts correct thanks to all who gave me advice on an earlier post. There are 6 drawers. On three the drawer fronts fit into the case almost perfectly. On three the left side (looking at it) sticks out from the case. Is there a way to adjust the drawers/slides front and back? I know there are left/ right and up/down adjustments but those are not my problem. I REALLY don't want to take the slides out and start moving them in and out.

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Recent Blum undermounts have a couple of oval mounting holes. You can reach into your cabinets, run screws into the middles of those ovals, and remove the screws you have put in round holes. Then you get to slide the slides forward and backward. When you get 'em right, put a screw or two into a round hole, and you're done.

Jamie's idea seems right unless your drawer fronts are projecting differently at the four corners , where as you'd need to shim the slides to correct for the different projections corner to corner.
    If the projection is say more on the LH side , you'd need to shim behind the back corner of the LH slide with a scrape of P.lam , and HOPE that when you did so the drawer slide had enough "give" to not make the drawer to tight in the opening.

Hopefully your "projection" is equal at all four corners and all you need to do is adjust the slides further into the cabinet!

Another thought would be is the pocket hole clear in the back so the drawer box is seated FULLY into the slide?

Nothing's binding , no fastener was shot thru the pocket hole that the slide tit is hitting on, causing the drawer box to NOT fully engage the slide?

Just a few other thoughts on why the drawer is projecting, good luck!

If a drawer is projecting one side only, something is out of square, most likely the drawer itself. Packing the slide won't fix this. You have to pack behind the drawer front itself ie between drawer front and drawer box. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    If a drawer is projecting one side only, something is out of square, most likely the drawer itself. Packing the slide won't fix this. You have to pack behind the drawer front itself ie between drawer front and drawer box. Cheers

That's another possibility , depends on how much projection there is, I'd take the path of least resistance first, then look at other options.
    Hopefully the projections are equal and all that needed is to set the slide further into the cabinet box.

It's been a while since I used them, but if you're talking about Blum tandem slides I seem to recall that there is a fore/aft adjustment feature to them. On the clip maybe? I had the same problem with my kitchen cabs and I know for sure that I didn't have to remount the slides.

John,
    That's what I need. A fore/aft adjustment on one side.

Wayne,
    I will check drawer squareness.

Thanks all for your comments.

I believe they make a few different bottom clips, with different adjustments. Only one has front to back adjustment.
    Gerry

JointCAM

The in and out adjustment won't help here. They're good for out, not so much in.

Your carcass and/or drawer box are out of square. You can shim the slide, move the slide back, and force the drawer in the direction it needs to go. Or you do a combination of all three.

It happens.

The Blum clip that has in/out adjustability is their T51.1901.PS . The slides however need to be mounted slightly deeper than the standard clip and the clip is adjusted outward to fit. If your drawers are already sticking out the slides will still need to be moved rearward
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson