Thread: Figured cherry board selection

Figured cherry board selection

I am starting to build a Pennsylvania secretary with a drop down desk top. The bottom case will be 21 inches deep at the base with a clipped front corner where the desk top folds up. The lower case sides will require a two board glue up. The top case is about 12 inches deep and the sides will be a single board.

I have acquired some wonderfully figured 4/4 cherry boards, all from the same log. There is a wonderful blaze centered with the cathedral top pointing towards the ends of most boards. I think the blaze should carry across the case division from top to bottom at the back, (cathedral down on the lower case, cathedral up on the top case), but I am wondering if the cathedral should point up or down on the front glued side. Another option would be have all cathedrals pointing up, but that would lose the continuity carried across the lower and upper case sides.

Any thoughts on what would look best? All these boards are beautifully matched. Bob
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Can you show the board?

Can't post pictures. There are nine boards, all sequentially cut. Sorry.

Blog Entries
    If the boards are long enough, I would make it look as though the boards were continuous from the bottom section to the top. I once made a long entertainment center with tree drawers across the top front. The board I used for the three drawer fronts was long enough to make all three drawer fronts. I kept track of where they came from the board and made it so the grain pattern aligned from one drawer to the next from left to right.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I think I am going with all cathedrals pointing up, rather than have the glued up section on the bottom with one pointing up next to the one pointing down. Thanks Bob

Sight unseen, I agree with the up pointing. I generally try to orient my grain that way.

Also :

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    I like the way you think.

Definitely cathedrals up. For me that trumps all other considerations. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.