Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing with a $1 walnut slab

Playing with a $1 walnut slab

Ok, yard sale stuff is all cleaned and put away. All but two items.
    Got one of them down to the bench today, as I wanted to joint one edge. Needed that to base the rest of the cuts off of...
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Jointer is a Stanley No.7c, T-9. Slab is just over 50" long, and about 1-1/8" thick. Almost as long as my bench..
    IMAG0002.jpg
    The wide end is about 16", narrow (?) end is 12" It has a bit of a cup to it..
    IMAG0003.jpg
    Sooo, the plan is to rip the slab down to something I can work on, maybe then glue it back into a top of some sort....Slab makes my Millers Falls No.11 look downright tiny..
    IMAG0005.jpg
    There was some decent enough shavings coming out of it, though...
    IMAG0004.jpg
    IF and when I get this slab down, I have the other plank to start on. Might need to cut it down a bit, as it is 7' long, and 8/4"+ thick...
    Walnut.jpg
    It has a lot of interesting grain to it...maybe use it for leg stock?
    IMAG0005.jpg
    Not sure IF I will try to resaw it down a bit..
    IMAG0002.jpg
    As it is a bit on the thick side. I doubt if I could get turning blanks out of it, a bit too swirly for that....

Paid a dollar each for these boards, trying to find a use for them...

Oh, by the way, I paid $1 each for these boards...

Lucky dawg!

Blog Entries
    Wow, I can't think of a better way to spend a dollar. Nice find.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Maybe doing quite a bit of cutting on those two slabs.....have a "blank canvass " right now......I also have a supply of Pine, for "secondary wood" items......Single Brain Cell Sketch Up is now at work, trying to "see what is in the wood" and work out a plan to use....

Well...for the next week or so, all I am allowed to do is......nothing. No driving, no stairs, no heavy lifting, no shoptime. Just had a Heart Cath done yesterday, and just got home this afternoon. Got an "ALL CLEAR" for the Cardio Doc, so there wasn't any blockages to do. Of course, you all know where they stick that wire thingy in through.....

Had someone say that slab could be used to make handles for hand saws.....

Blog Entries
    Very nice find, and you can't beat the price. Saw handles would be a great way to use that. You could make a whole set and have Bontz make you some plates.

Not sure how to make blanks for saw handles that others would want to use. Slab was flat sawn, so there are a few "Cathedrals" in the grain.

There is also rear handles on handplanes that came be cobbled out. Then there is the 8/4 x 7' long chunk to mill down..
    Walnut.jpgIMAG0005.jpgIMAG0004.jpg
    Lots of figure, and quite thick. Top, middle and bottom of the slab.....also $1.
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Trying to figure out what to do with this slab...

Blog Entries
    I think it would make a fine sitting bench.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Ok, I have the slab cut down.....four pieces I can work with, and two with the live edge going on.

The four pieces I can work with are now ~25" long, two are 6" wide, the other two are around 4" wide......
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Meh. Gave one a clean up with a Stanley #5-1/2 jack plane...
    IMAG0009.jpg
    Until both faces were close, then smoothed them out with a #4

IMAG0004.jpg
    Smooth and ready to joint the edges...
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Again, using the 5-1/2. MKI Eye ball says it is straight, square suggests it is square to the faces. After jointing both edges, I think it MIGHT be S4S. Used the same square, laid out a line done the middle...

IMAG0003.jpg
    This was after the resaw on the bandsaw. Which I soon discovered had a less than sharp blade......yep, smoke fill the shop. Smoke? It did NOT smell like Walnut, either.....hmmm..
    IMAG0006.jpg
    Not sure what wood this is....yet. WAS supposed to be Walnut, now I'm not so sure
    IMAG0005.jpg
    Book matched, 1/2" thick panel. Will go ahead and work the next one down as well. Stuff looking more like Cherry? Will get a better look at the colour, after I put something on it......DNA maybe.

So far, I have used the #7c on the intact slab, since then, it has been just two planes. The Stanley #5-1/2, T-17, and a Stanley #4, T-13. Will see how long that lasts....May set aside a chunk for a plane's rear handle, as well. have one plane that needs a new rear handle..

Single Brain Cell Sketch Up is calling for a box to be cobbled together out of my $2 yard sale stash, should be an interesting one......Walnut? Cherry?

Right now, the plan is to do the other narrow board the same way. Thinking a top and a bottom for a box. Or two. The wider two boards......will get turned into the sides of the boxes. Then there is that 7' long, by 8/4 thing on the back porch to mill into ......something. I have saved the live edged sap wood, maybe make some sort of trim pieces out of them?

In the "Old Days" I'd have done all the boards in about a day, or two........now a days, one at a time is plenty to do. Getting old is not for the weak.....

Taking a break for awhile. Seems there is a Brown Bat doing Air Patrols in my shop......shop in IN the basement of the house, to boot.

Almost have those two pieces all smmoothed out, until the Bat flying by at hat level ended the session. Not sure HOW the critter got down there, either.

Picked a pair of handsaws today....one will need a new handle.......hmmm. Could be....

Ok, second board has been resawn......yep, seems that slab was Cherry, after all. I had left one freshly planed slice sit a few days.....lights were bright enough to change the colours to a more Cherry flavour...might be able to do something with that...

Pictures, or it didn't happen....
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Two pairs. Trying for book matched panels.
    IMAG0003.jpg
    What I was told was Walnut, turns out to be Cherry. This is about half of the $1 slab, still have two more boards to process.....and those two are 6" wide. Might make some use of these...

For $1 per board you did very well!!!!
    Jerry

New bandsaw blade did not play very nice tonight..
    Wave effect.jpg
    Wavy, and tilted.....rather than ruin the other 6" wide plank
    cherry chunks.jpg
    Still wavy, but I can resaw these a little bit better than the wide ones.
    Laid out two decent boards, for the sides of a box
    side boards.jpg
    I figure I can get all four sides out of these two....now, about the bottom and top?
    top and bottom.jpg
    Glue up into a panel, then cut in two for the top and bottom...
    Laid out a few toys..
    tools.jpg
    Plan right now is to do finger joints. These should do the trick. I can dig out the Stanley #45 to make grooves for the bottom to sit in. Might even make a rebate or two with it, as well.
    old cherry.jpg
    Had an old piece of Cherry, been floating around in the shop for a few years, maybe I can find a use for it, this time around?

As for the wave effect boards...
    plane till bottom.jpg
    Sitting there by itself, is the scrub plane. Might be able to scrub the waves down flat?
    Well it is a start, anyway....Cherry @ $.20 a bf? Would like to find a few more such planks....