Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Know of an Air Compressor that Fits These Specs?

Know of an Air Compressor that Fits These Specs?

I need a new air compressor that will consistently deliver at least 10-12 CFM@90PSI. That's the easy part.

The catch is that I don't have a good place to put a typical stationary air compressor. What I really need is a portable compressor on wheels that delivers at least 10-12 CFM@90PSI and can be moved when it becomes necessary to access the mechanicals behind it for service or replacement. It's the only spot I have for a compressor, and I can't fit a full-size (60-80 gal tank) unit there.

I've been looking at options, and they are few and far between. On the low end, Campbell-Haufeld's DIY/Consumer line has a 26-gallon, 3.2 HP model that can do 10CFM@90PSI for around $650. It looks good until you see how cheaply it's built. I need something that will stand up to heavy use, live long and help me prosper. The other end of the spectrum is in the $2000 neighborhood, way out of my $1000 budget.

Anyone have a recommendation for a compressor that will work in this case?

Thanks!

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

you could always mount a bigger pump on a small tank, or have the pump and tank in different locations. There are options if you are willing to do a little fab work and put something together yourself.

I know you didn't state strictly electrical powered but I have this unit and have been very pleased with it. Yes, it is kinda loud but it performs well and it's portable: http://m.northerntool.com/products/s...FQsIaQod3b4LFg

They do pop up on Craigslist every now and again which is where I got mine for $350.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Grant View Post
    you could always mount a bigger pump on a small tank, or have the pump and tank in different locations. There are options if you are willing to do a little fab work and put something together yourself.
    I've got no problem with fab work if it makes sense--I've done plenty of it--but my first choice is to find a ready-to-run solution so I can get back to woodturning, my first love.

If only I could turn a wood air compressor...

D.

I shaved my head.

I should have been more specific. Electric only--for use inside garage shop.

D.

I shaved my head.

I use a 2hp 10 gallon California Air Tools compressor, one puts out about 5cfm, but they are about $350 at Home Depot, two of them would be $700, quiet, portable and give you the 10cfm you need... and fit in your budget.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

I would stick with belt drive only, as the direct drive stuff is generally not built as well and is non-fixable. You will have to go 240 to get one machine that will do that cfm. How about something like a Rolair? heavy, very well built but still portable.

http://www.toolnut.com/Rolair_3095K1..._p/3095k18.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Case LR View Post
    I need a new air compressor that will consistently deliver at least 10-12 CFM@90PSI....
    Consistently or Constantly? You didn't mention how you will use the air.

Ken suggested big pump/small tank. What about big tank / small pump? Could you use a compressor sized for space available, portability, and access requirements - but under-sized for air delivery?? And, could separate large air receiver(s) (located nearly anywhere) provide the make-up air required for peak-use times. And then recharge while you 're-load'?? Just be careful you don't exceed the duty cycle of the motor.

(Betting this is vacuum holding/chuck, so I know its a long shot, but just trying to think outside the box.)

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Consistently or Constantly? You didn't mention how you will use the air.
    The biggest consumer is a pneumatic sander. Not necessarily every day of my life, but when used it's used heavily.

Ken suggested big pump/small tank. What about big tank / small pump?
    If I had room for a large tank I'd have room for a large compressor on top.

(Betting this is vacuum holding/chuck, so I know its a long shot, but just trying to think outside the box.)
    I've never tried vacuum chucks. If I did my bank account would spring another leak!

Thanks!

D.

I shaved my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Lamb View Post
    I use a 2hp 10 gallon California Air Tools compressor, one puts out about 5cfm, but they are about $350 at Home Depot, two of them would be $700, quiet, portable and give you the 10cfm you need... and fit in your budget.

Interesting idea, Brian. I'll give that some thought. My understanding is that as oilless compressors go, CAT is a good product. Do you think they would stand up to heavy use?

Thanks!

D.

I shaved my head.

Call Portland Compressor. 800-542-8300 Extremely helpful and knowledgeable folk.
    -Lud

I'd hazard a guess that your requirement is pushing the limit of anything "small" and portable to extreme limits...I've never seen anything "common" with that like of air flow and portable. Hopefully, one of the custom places can come up with something for you. Air sanders and portable compressors are not normally used in the same sentences...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Air Compressors direct has a great filter tool where you pick your requirements. Here is one from them. 12.1 cfm at 100psi. 3HP single stage portable.
    http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...sor/p5488.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Case LR View Post
    Interesting idea, Brian. I'll give that some thought. My understanding is that as oilless compressors go, CAT is a good product. Do you think they would stand up to heavy use?

Thanks!

D.
    I have about a year on mine and it runs a lot, it sits next to my CNC mill and supplies blow off air and air for tool changes and coolant. I have read good things about them, but given the length of time so far, I can't say what the thought will be 5 years from now. But, I see no reason to suspect the unit to be short lived, it's heavy duty and not your typical cheap ass oil-less noisy compressor.

I have a 60 gallon vertical Ingersoll Rand and it's 95 decibels when it's running, the CAT is 74db, my mill makes more noise than the compressor. If your "heavy use" is only occasional, I'd do what I did, buy one, see if it keeps up, figuring if it can't on a regular basis, then purchase a second and plumb the two units together. It's very simple to do, they have two outlets on the panel, one port could be just a jumper hose from the two tanks.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    Air Compressors direct has a great filter tool where you pick your requirements. Here is one from them. 12.1 cfm at 100psi. 3HP single stage portable.
    http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...sor/p5488.html

That looks like the perfect answer.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney