Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flattening a Japanese Whetstone.

Flattening a Japanese Whetstone.

AOTO NAKATO Natural Japanese Stone. AO = (Blue) TO = (Whetstone) NAKATO = (Medium Grit 2000 - 3000)

Glass Sanding Plates fitted with Hermes Wet & Dry Paper; L-R 180g, 240g, 320g, 400g.

Aoto Nakato Stone after 400g flattening.

Glass Sanding Plates cleaned up (after use) with tap water.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 08-04-2016 at 2:14 AM.

Blog Entries
    Stewie, you may want to lacquer the sides of that stone.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Stewie, you may want to lacquer the sides of that stone.
    Hi Brian. I have limited experience using Japanese water stones. Look forward to hearing your advice.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 08-07-2016 at 7:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    Hi Stewie,

It is advisable to paint the sides of the stone in Cashew lacquer combined with a paper wrapping to help support the individual layers of the stone and prevent them from separating.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Hi Stewie,

It is advisable to paint the sides of the stone in Cashew lacquer combined with a paper wrapping to help support the individual layers of the stone and prevent them from separating.
    Brian. Be dammed if I am going to be wrapping the sides of this or any other japanese water stone in Cashew Lacquer and paper wrapping. I have a tin of BondCrete in the workshop, I will use that to coat the sides of the stone. http://www.bondall.com/wp-content/up...MAG_110420.pdf

I purchased this stone back in 30/07/2007, directly from Japan for Au71.14.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 08-07-2016 at 7:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    Hi Stewie,

Not sure what the excitement is about. There is a two-tier logic in using cashew lacquer, and the second part of it is that it nice to look at. Not sure Bond crete carries the same appeal, further unsure that if you ever resell the stone that potential second owners would carry a flag for BondCrete.

Glad to hear that you've owned the stone for a while.

Cheers
    Brian

Brian. BondCrete looks and has the same consistency as white pva glue, when applied it dries quickly to a clear finish, supplying a waterproof membrane over porous materials.

Stewie;

Brian. Attached is a link I found on applying Cashew Lacquer to a jnat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKeRRZcXNIs

Blog Entries
    I dont bother diluting it, but it's probably wise to dilute it slightly. It's very thick, like syrup.

Here is one I did, and in the background one in clear lacquer.

Here is one that came from Japan with the lacquer already applied.

It takes a good long while to cure, so I believe diluting with turp. also cuts down on that time.

Using Gum Turpentine.

Blog Entries
    Very interesting. I was not aware of cashew lacquer. One thing I know about cashews is the shell is very caustic and contains urushiol, which is the stuff that makes poison ivy a menace. Curiosity caused me to contact Professor Google, and I found this article that suggests there should be caution when using it. http://dragomyr.org/4-Content/4c-Wri...hi_Lacquer.htm

Any thoughts on that? Here is what cashews look like off the tree. The fruit smells and tastes like muskidines. My wife hates the smell and won't even allow them in the house. I love it. There is only one cashew per fruit, and you MUST carefully remove the shell and boil the nut before eating or it would be like eating poison ivy.

image.jpg
    Last edited by Malcolm Schweizer; 08-04-2016 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Hi Brian. I have limited experience using Jap water stones. Look forward to hearing your advice.

Stewie;
    Can we please use "Japanese"? The other form has pretty nasty historical connotations.

Fair enough Patrick. Is it okay if I use the term japnats. (Japanese natural whetstones).

Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Brian. BondCrete looks and has the same consistency as white pva glue, when applied it dries quickly to a clear finish, supplying a waterproof membrane over porous materials.

Stewie;
    Stewie

I am not familiar with Bondall Bondcrete. Looks like an Aussie product. Website seems to stress concrete, underlayment and masonry patching etc purposes. Does it contain any hard particles?

The website states it is not suited to constant exposure to moisture. Is it ideal for a wetstone?

Lacquer (Urshiol base) is absolutely unaffected by water. It does not have the solids or bonding strength of modern epoxies, much less Bond Crete, and it causes allergic reactions and rashes in most people until cured.

I would like to learn more about your adventures with BondCrete!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Very interesting. I was not aware of cashew lacquer. One thing I know about cashews is the shell is very caustic and contains urushiol, which is the stuff that makes poison ivy a menace. Curiosity caused me to contact Professor Google, and I found this article that suggests there should be caution when using it. http://dragomyr.org/4-Content/4c-Wri...hi_Lacquer.htm

Any thoughts on that? Here is what cashews look like off the tree. The fruit smells and tastes like muskidines. My wife hates the smell and won't even allow them in the house. I love it. There is only one cashew per fruit, and you MUST carefully remove the shell and boil the nut before eating or it would be like eating poison ivy.

image.jpg
    Cashew is sold and used as a natural urethane here in Japan. I have used it on jobsites, most recently the Four Seasons Kyoto. The smell is unique, and not especially pleasant, but it does not cause the allergic reaction and rashes natural lacquer does. I use it on all my finish wetstones (>6000). I believe it really does extend the life of my natural stones, and even my synthetic stones. I have tried natural lacquer, but curing is a pain, and the smell of the uncured product alone makes my wife horribly sick.

Not sure where you buy Cashew outside Japan, but Brian bought it somewhere...

Stan

Stan