Thread: Raised panel with LV Skew Rabbet, with cove

Blog Entries

Raised panel with LV Skew Rabbet, with cove

Derek has a post on his blog about using the LV skew rabbet to make a raised panel. The raised area I need to make is about 1 1/4" wide x 5/8" with a cove in it. I have a Festool 1400 router but my research says it is not designed to handle a bit large enough to make this cut, at least horizontally, and the old router table I have is not the best...I would rather do it with the skew rabbet.

I am wondering if anyone has modified a stock straight/skewed LV blade to make this cut? I may need an off center camber in the skew in the blade to get the desired camber? I have a CBN wheel, with a rounded edge, which may be able to grind the required "camber". It might be worth the trouble to have a blade, for the skew rabbet, I could use to make coved raised panels. I guess another alternative is, I could just heavily camber an old blade for a #3, #4 or # 5 1/4 Stanley plane and use it to make the cove.

Crazy or not?

Hi Mike

What about using a Round plane to shape the cove? You could first remove some of the waste with a plough.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I do have a small round bottom plane Derek, but the camber in the blade looks too small. It is a small wood plane with a single blade & small wedge that can be hard to adjust. It may help though. I have large gouges, a scorp and a travisher but the curves in their blades appear too small too. Those tools tend to leave a less level surface which may show up. Maybe I just try until I find something that works.

I thought the skew rabbet might make a more consistent result.