Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Euro machinery hacks, mods, and add-ons...

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Lane View Post
    ooops that was a question for John Lankers
    Jordan, here are some pics. I used Epoxy and wood screws to install the miter bar into a length of 3/4" BB plywood - should have used beech soaked in oil. The hockey puck makes a solid base for the Kreg clamp - I use hockey pucks everywhere. The Kreg clamp will reach over the crosscut fence when mounted on top of 2 hockey pucks.
    As I pointed out in an earlier post - NEVER use these clamps with the shaper, they don't have the holding power.
    I will try to upload pictures later, the internet sucks this morning

Here we go:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Lankers; 08-18-2016 at 11:42 AM.

John, those are clever. Thanks for sharing. I never would have thought of a hockey puck. We use a small square of leather on ours.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    John, those are clever. Thanks for sharing. I never would have thought of a hockey puck. We use a small square of leather on ours.

Erik
    Ha, that's because you're in Texas and I'm not
    They work great under machine bases also and are good for finishing - wood screw through the puck and drywall anchor on top to set the wood on, will never tip over. The sky is the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lankers View Post
    Ha, that's because you're in Texas and I'm not
    They work great under machine bases also and are good for finishing - wood screw through the puck and drywall anchor on top to set the wood on, will never tip over. The sky is the limit.
    See, you learn something new every day. Maybe I can find a good use for Cowboys merchandise. Then it can at least finish something.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Does somebody have experience fitting the Aigner extensions on Hammer A3 jointer / planers? The (potential) issue is the aluminum mounting rail for the fence. I wonder whether there is an elegant way to mount an Aigner extension to it. I am aware that Felder has similar extensions for the Hammer machines. The prices for the tables are a wash but the mounting rails are much more expensive than the Aigner rails (!) and more limited in the different mounting options.
    IMG_0200.jpg

I haven't tried it yet but I saw a Fastcap video where a laser level was installed above the sliding table and parallel with it as a reference line for ripping long planks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cxmtbKLG38

The Incra fence on a Hammer slider http://benchmark.20m.com/tools/Hamme...ceinstall.html
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

thank you John Lakers ) the more pics the better for me

actually John i was curious about how you mounted that Incra miter guage not the clamps

Jordan, the Incra 1000 fits just fine, there is enough adjustability in the split nylon washers to snug the miter bar up in the Felder miter slot. Just make sure the washers are oriented the same way pushing all equally against the side of the miter slot. I have also a small piece of wood screwed under the leading edge of the miter bar to elevate it enough to keep the face of the actual miter gauge perpendicular to the slider.
    I'll post a picture later this afternoon.

thanks!!!!

Here are the pics as promised.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Years ago, when I worked for the "other" company, reknowned woodworker Yeung Chan was a customer of ours. He came to Sacramento to do a seminar on the combo machine and brought a bunch of his own jigs and stuff. he had made all these very intricate jigs for doing finger joints and such on the sliding table. I've still never seen anything like it. Anyhow, one thing I do remember clearly is that he had machined a bunch of T-nuts for the slider out of hardwood, then epoxied in threaded inserts. He had a bunch of them, and could put as many as he needed into the T-channel on the slider.

Guys ask me all the time for steel T-nuts, which seem ridiculously priced from SCM but I still have not seen anyone making these out of wood, which seems so simple. Just an afternoon on your router table and drill press. I don't know if a hardwood T-nut could handle the pressure of an OEM eccentric clamp but it sure could on any small mitre fence or those toggle-type clamps.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Erik, for the (so far) small amount of slider-slot mounting I've constructed, I did similar to what you just mentioned...machined some scrap oak hardwood and threaded inserts. Works great!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Erik, there's quite a few of us that make T-Nuts from Baltic Birch with T-Nuts pressed in to the underside, works well and doesn't scratch the table. 3/4 ply works fine, at least for the Hammer slider slot