Thread: Need help dating Pexto chisel

Need help dating Pexto chisel

Hi Everybody,

I just got an NOS Pexto socket chisel on the Bay. It is dead mint -- never been honed -- the handle has never been pounded into the socket and there is still a little bubble of lacquer on the very end of the wood from when it was dipped into the vat. The edge is 7/8" with square sides. It's is pretty heavy and the steel is slightly curved so that it can lay almost flat on a workpiece.

I told my wife I thought it was probably around a hundred years old but that was a guess. I'm not really sure when PS&W began branding their chisels with the circled Pexto label. This is my fourth Pexto chisel of around this vintage and certainly the shiniest. I like them.

If anyone has an idea of the range of years these were made, I'd love to read your thoughts. Thanks, Skip

NOS Pexto.jpg

PS: I'm not a collector. This will be sharpened-up and used when needed. sh
    Last edited by Skip Helms; 08-05-2016 at 7:59 AM. Reason: grammar

Before it was Pexto it was Peck- Stowe. I've seen the date of name change but don't remember what it was. Think you can find it with Google. enjoy!

I doubt that chisel is a hundred years old, but whether it was made in 1916 or 1936 is really immaterial. I have NOS Greenfield chisels that look just like that that I know were made in the 1960's in Rockford, IL. You have a nice chisel, but its not rare or anything. Use it where and how you wish. Personally I find firmer chisels to be of limited use. They are quite long and the blunt-sided blades don't seem applicable to my woodworking needs. The good news is that what you have there is better than any chisel made today that retails for less than $50., so if you paid less than that you are good.

See: http://progress-is-fine.blogspot.com...ow-wilcox.html
    Last edited by Mike Brady; 08-05-2016 at 10:05 AM.

According to this:

http://alloy-artifacts.org/peck-stow...tml#trademarks

They started using that logo as early as 1915. Nice Chisel! I actually really like firmers, (except for dovetailing). Looks like you went back in time to get that one, whether its 1915 or 1945 or 1965, its very cool!

DC

It looks like the consolidated name started in 1927. Most of the information on Pexto is for their metalworking line but I'll keep my ears open. sh