Thread: JT Turnings Gizmo Hollowimg system

JT Turnings Gizmo Hollowimg system

Does anyone have or has used the Gizmo Hollowing system by JT Tuning tools company? I am thinking about buying it after foolishly selling the first one that I owned. Having used it only 2 or 3 times, I"M looking online for Articulated arm systems that are comparable. If anyone has any information they wish to share, it will be most appreciated.

I have a Gizmo and use it a lot. Cutter bars I use are a 1" & 1/2" both square, also have JT laser system. The owner Tom Styer is a member of the club I am in and a great guy to do business with. Fit and finish of the Gizmo are top drawer. If by chance you would be going to SWAT he will have a booth there.

That youSteve for your comments. I have ordered my second one because most of what I've found through web searches are no where near as well designed as the Gizmo. I only wish I hadn't sold the first one.

I own the Gizmo and love it. I also recently bought a secondhand Monster. The Monster is a fine articulated hollower, but the Gizmo is like a Monster on steroids. But that beefiness comes with a higher price. Seems like the Gizmo is about $200 more (give or take). For me it is worth every penny, but I still hand hollow and insist on an articulated hollower to mimic the complete fluid freedom of hand hollowing when I want or need to use a rig. For what it is worth, I also own the Monster captive system and the Carter Hollow Roller (modified captive system), so I do have some hands on with the systems. I just don't use the captive systems anymore. Not saying I wont for a deep vessel in the future, but the Gizmo can hollow 10" deep without issue.

I would recommend either Trent Bosch or Jordan or Ellsworth bars if you want a small opening, the JT square bar with movable head is heavy duty, but is too large for me to use and maintain the smaller openings I prefer. Hope this helps.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I just reviewed the Elbo Tool, now being produced by Tim Yoder, for More Woodturning Magazine. I surely was surprised how well it is made and it is so very easy to set up. It can also used on all my full sized lathes without having to buy another part. It can be used on midi lathes but a separate part must be purchased for use on a midi. The price is really amazing for what you receive.

Thanks Scott. You've been very helpful

Steven, Scott helped me to make my decision to buy the Gizmo and I haven`t looked back. I Love this piece of equipment its smooth and Very well made and I have used it a lot since I got it about a month ago. I have used tools from Trent Bosch, Lyle Jamison, and Carter so far and it`s wonderful to use. I really like Trent Bosch`s tool the best so far and will get a couple more as my skills progress.

Here` a thread on my first hollow form using this tool.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...st-Hollow-Form

Easier and more delicate than I thought.

Thanks Dok for the info. Scott has been helpful in aiding in my purchase of the Gizmo. JT Turning tools should give him a little cash considering how much they charge for their tools. Anyway, you mentioned that you have used Trent Bosch, Jamieson and Carter boring bars. Did you have to purchase any special adapters in order to fit them to the Gizmo? If I remember correctly the Gizmo has a 5/8" receiving cavity with 2 allen set screws. Help me to understand how you made the connections. Thanks, Steve

I have a Gizmo and like it a lot. I use it mostly with John Jordan hollowing bars. The Gizmo has a 3/4" receiving cavity so the Jordan 3/4" bar fits directly. For smaller bars I bought adapters from Jordan to take the OD to 3/4".

One tip from the school of hard knocks. If you are using the 3/4" bar, replace the steel set screws with brass tipped set screws. I had steel screws in mine, had a bad catch and scored the bar, put a bur on it where it rotated against the set screw. Then I had a very hard time getting the bar out because of the cavity because the bur was catching. Brass set screws, and better technique, prevented the problem from coming back.