Thread: Draw Leaf Table

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Draw Leaf Table

I'm wondering what the mechanism is like for a draw leaf table. I did a google search but wasn't successful in finding anything that shows how the leaves are supported when they are pulled out. Any ideas? Pictures? Thanks.

Dave,
    Here is a link were you can get plans for a draw leaf table. Hope this helps.
    http://store.yahoo.com/tylertool/krdldrletapr.html

Thanks Don. I'm not really looking for plans. I just wondered how the mecahnism works to support the leaves when they're out and yet allow the leaves to be pushed underneath the center portion of the top.

When I was growing up my mom had a drop leaf table and as I recall it had a pair of rails underneath fastened to the leafs. As I recall when you slid the leafs out and lifted them leel to the table you then slid the leafs back into the table. The rails went into a slot that was on the underside of the table. To lower the leaf you mearly slid the leaf back out and it would drop down so you could store the leaf again. I hope this makes sense.

I think it does, Don. Thanks for that information.

Another very traditional support for the leaves is a hinged support that just swings out from the rail.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene
    Another very traditional support for the leaves is a hinged support that just swings out from the rail.
    I believe that there is a New Yankee plan that showed that... I know that you are not looking for plans but it could give you some ideas...
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

I just snapped a couple of pics of the table I made 4 or 5 years ago - it was a combination of an antique draw-leaf that I owned and a diagram of one from Bill Hylton's book Illustrated Cabinetmaking.

Below is the table pulled in.

Top removed

leaves pulled out

different view

no - the one leaf is not tipped - just one of those "photo things"

Table full extended

I hope those pics are along the lines of what you were looking for Dave, don't hesitate to ask if you think I could help any further.

Hey! Shelley! That's great. Exactly what I wanted to see. Thank you very much.

I gather from the pictures that the runners attached to the leaves are essentially ramped to bring the leaves up to the right height when pulled out.

You're real welcome Dave. I crawled under the table to take the next couple - certainly not the best in photography but might illustrate the "angle" a little better for you.

In the pic below, it appears that the "legs" are lower than the apron - another one of the photo things......you will notice in the above pics you can not see them from a normal standing view.

I gather from the pictures that the runners attached to the leaves are essentially ramped to bring the leaves up to the right height when pulled out.
    Perfect way of putting it!

Thank you for crawling around taking and taking these additional photos. I hope your neighbors didn't see you. I'd hate to know that there are rumors of "Shelley's gone off the deep end" floating around your neighborhood.

One other thing. What is the procedure for retracting the leaves? Do you just push the leaves toward the center or do you have to pull them out a bit first? I can understand how the angle on the rails attached to the leaves causes the leaves to lower but I can't quite understand how they get past the end of the top.

Or do you remove the top, pull out the leaves and reinstall the top?

Thanks.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 09-29-2005 at 9:01 AM.