Thread: Solid Slab versus laminated workbench top

Solid Slab versus laminated workbench top

I am preparing to build a split top roubo workbench and MAY have found solid slabs that would be the correct size. They are kiln dried. Any concerns or watch outs using solid slabs instead of building a laminate top?

Slabs can split.
    I wouldn't make a work bench out of one. If you plan on using bench dogs, pressure from those could ruin your day.
    Same with mounting a vise to it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Gluing up small pieces is a better idea than using one big solid slab for a workbench. Stronger, more stable, less likely to split.

What part of the country are you in?

If the bench is subjected to seasonal humidity swings, it will be flat
    only twice a year. I'm not sure I would want to deal with warp, twist and cup
    on a workbench.

Two questions arise;

Are the slabs less expensive than other choices to build your benchtop.

Are the slabs fresh out of the kiln, or have they stabilized for some time?

It could work, if the planets align - but as MR indicates, solid wood this
    thickness has potential for considerable movement over your lifetime at the bench.

If you can get a reasonably priced solid slab, kiln dried, without bad defects, I'd be tempted to go with it, if it is thick enough for your top. I laminated mine, and it has moved some, so probably a solid slab wouldn't be much different, and would be a LOT less trouble. You could still drill it and put threaded rods through if you want, use a LONG bit, drill bigger holes on the ends to recess your nuts and washers. Be sure to lay it out with your dog holes before proceeding. I used the threaded rods to help glue mine together, along with all my clamps. Lots of work, cauls would have helped to line up the pieces.

I would glue up the top on a bench that had that much work in it. End-grain exposed butcher block style.

If I did not do hardwood butcher block it would be multiple layers of MDF, 1" hardwood edging mitered and biscuited or domino attached, laminate skins on top and bottom for durability, and a 1/8 hardboard final top that was sacrificial.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.