Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Draw Leaf Table

Shelley, thanks for that last shot and description. I still want a bit of clarification.

Does the top rest on the leaves (and the central I) when the leaves are retracted?

Do you have to support the top to keep it from dropping suddenly as the leaf is pulled out from under it?

With the leaves out, is it possible to tilt the top inadvertently by leaning on a corner?

Sorry to keep asking more questions. If I knew where I could find one, I'd go play with it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 09-29-2005 at 11:49 AM.

Well......running the risk of overloading SMC with pictures, I took one more for you..........this should show the "floating" main table top (with the red felt) resting on the "legs or runners" of the leaf when it is pulled right out.......I warn you, this is why it is a bit of a engineering feat.....the variables I spoke of.

Do you have to support the top to keep it from dropping suddenly as the leaf is pulled out from under it?
    Yes - you do have to support it a bit or.......just let it drop.

With the leaves out, is it possible to tilt the top inadvertently by leaning on a corner?
    I guess you could tilt it if you were really big and leaned hard on it - I have some pretty big guys on it - even had arm wrestling going on, and nothing like that has happened.

Sorry to keep asking more questions. If I knew where I could find one, I'd go play with it.
    Hey Dave, don't be sorry........I only hope I am helping a bit and not confusing you more. I agree with you - if at all possible, you should seek out a drawleaf to examine.

Shelley, that has cleared it all up. Thank you very much. I almost have a completed 3D drawing of the whole works now.

Thanks for your help.

I am happy to have helped a bit Dave - one last thing though. To anyone that wants to use felt - do not use RED........or any color for that matter. That was all my daughter could find and I thought nothing of it as it was not to be seen however, something must have gotten spilled on the table and dripped under it - got on the red felt which in turn stained a small part of the leaf red......white is the way to go!!!

5. Hi There,

I'm about to embark on building one of these table and I had just one question regarding the
    pull leaves and the 2 arms on each side.
    I can see how the leaf sits on top of the arm but how is the remainder of the arm that slides in and out contoured?
    Is there any tapering going on and how is the leaf prevented from coming out any further?

One more thing, what are the dimensions of the legs, if you dont mind?

Many thanks

Richard