Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New hand tool Mfg about to open.

1. How about we just watch to see how this all plays out. I think most of us know about his Lost Art Press blog; that will likely be where most of the real info originates.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Dean View Post
    I for one welcome more competition in the hand tool market! I continue to appreciate Chris's unbiased perspective when it comes to techniques and tool reviews. That said, I fear that it may become difficult to remain disinterested when one owns a business completing in the same space.
    He has made it clear he is no longer going to review tools.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I'd love to have a peek at their business strategy. Given the "Schwarz" brand, I question the totally unrelated company name. Not sure what the rationale is for not going with "Chris Schwarz Tools" for example. I think they've left a lot of established brand association on the table...and organic marketing opportunity. Why spend the extra $ to create a new brand, or create an association with Chris and the brand, when one already exists?

I also wonder if he considered just licensing his name/brand to an established quality tool manufacturer with rights to approve all design/quality.

Just seems there may have been better ways for Chris to enter the tool business...but I'm just looking in from the outside.
    i think it's smart. Then people will focus on the products, and not bitching about Schwarz' inflated ego. Which is exactly what I suspect a great deal of this thread would be about, frankly. Before anyone can say it, I'm not a huge fan of Schwarz, but I do support his endeavors, as I believe in supporting small businesses, and I suspect I'm a bit of an anarchist (for the most part) myself.
    Paul

Points well taken. Without knowing the background, it's just fun bantor. I'm a fan of small business/cottage industries and support them whenever possible. Spending most of my career on brand strategy and market positioning for small and Fortune 500 companies, I only wish them the best.

I like Chris, and I would think he will put out good stuff, but agree wit the others, the hold fasts would have to be a lot better to get me to change from the Gramercy ones, which I like and are really reasonably priced.

Take a look at his blog.
    Some info about the new company and Daed Toolworks outside Indianapolis
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Just saw this on CS blog. It answers a couple questions I had, anyway.....
    "We think there are a lot of tools that need to be made that aren’t currently on the market. Manufacturing those tools will keep us busy for at least the next five years and probably beyond. We probably will have to hire employees eventually and we might grow more than I anticipate. But our core philosophy is not to steal market share away from anyone. We think there’s a lot of room for other toolmakers to supply the needs of woodworkers."

They are a 1" holdfast. I thought the the Gramercy holdfasts (I have 2) were only in 3/4".
    Paul

Random reaction from looking at the pictures on his blog: Haas VMCs make me drool.

Looks like they bought a brand spanking new TM-2P, yours today for the low low price of $38K + extras. It would appear that they're planning to make much larger and more tightly toleranced stuff than just those holdfasts (TM-2P is fairly slow as VMCs go, but has a 40x16x16 working volume. All of the Haas units are capable of pretty tight tolerances)
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 08-12-2016 at 9:37 PM.

I second that drool. Haas makes nice stuff. Knew it was pricey, but didnt realize it was $38 large. Well, I guess Old Man Haas has to pay for his Formula 1 team somehow.....

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I second that drool. Haas makes nice stuff. Knew it was pricey, but didnt realize it was $38 large. Well, I guess Old Man Haas has to pay for his Formula 1 team somehow.....
    Nah, he uses his tax money for that.

Seriously, the Haas VMCs are priced about par for the course IIRC.

EDIT: Added link as the reference was too obscure
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 08-13-2016 at 1:15 AM.

I agree Schwarz did some great tool reviews, but, does that qualify him to be tool designer? After all, Siskel and Eibert reviewed 100's of movies yet I've never seen either one attempt making a film? This is the conundrum of the critic, they critique what they themselves can not create. I wish him luck, Should be interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Nah, he uses his tax money for that.

EDIT: Added link as the reference was too obscure
    Id forgotten about that!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Random reaction from looking at the pictures on his blog: Haas VMCs make me drool.

Looks like they bought a brand spanking new TM-2P, yours today for the low low price of $38K + extras. It would appear that they're planning to make much larger and more tightly toleranced stuff than just those holdfasts (TM-2P is fairly slow as VMCs go, but has a 40x16x16 working volume. All of the Haas units are capable of pretty tight tolerances)
    You gents need to visit my plant, if ever going across I-80. Website is "Metaltech-pm.com". Got a half dozen CNC's to support our core powder metal business.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

As far as Crucible, I wish them well: everyone should start a business before being allowed to comment!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.