Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New hand tool Mfg about to open.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    You gents need to visit my plant, if ever going across I-80. Website is "Metaltech-pm.com". Got a half dozen CNC's to support our core powder metal business.
    Thats very cool. I bet you never worry about where to get an obscure part- you just go to the shop and make it! Do you ever make your own woodworking tools?

Blog Entries
    As far as Crucible, I wish them well: everyone should start a business before being allowed to comment!
    Temporary insanity, long term repercussions.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

$38K is pretty cheap for a decent machine.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    $38K is pretty cheap for a decent machine.
    Haas, ready to work, are closer to $100K (I have two of their cnc mills). I have a number of other machining centers, including Mazak, but Haas have been the most trouble free.

My pricy equipment are presses and furnaces: entry is well over $250k a pop. Needless to say, I don't waste time on making my own stuff, though I've had one of my toolmakers flatten plane soles and square the sides.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

You gents need to visit my plant, if ever going across I-80. Website is "Metaltech-pm.com". Got a half dozen CNC's to support our core powder metal business.
    Thanks Tony! If I get over there, I'd sure enjoy seeing it!
    Fred

Haas, ready to work, are closer to $100K (I have two of their cnc mills). I have a number of other machining centers, including Mazak, but Haas have been the most trouble free.

My pricy equipment are presses and furnaces: entry is well over $250k a pop. Needless to say, I don't waste time on making my own stuff, though I've had one of my toolmakers flatten plane soles and square the sides.
    I think that a lot of people don't realize how much up-front time is involved in creating the first article of a CNCed part. As you imply it's near-certain that buying the part from somebody else who's already set up to make it would be more economical than wasting your own peoples' time on that.

Say. I see that you have double-disc grinders, and I have some lapping plates.... (just kidding obviously - I have a local shop that I work with when it gets beyond what I can handle with granite and SiC)

Note that the one they got is a "toolroom mill", which are lower-cost, lower-speed machines (7 hp or so, 400 ipm rapids).

The one in the picture on your site looks like a DM1, which is a higher-end "production" machine (15+ hp, 2400 ipm rapids, $65K + extras per Haas).
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 08-13-2016 at 2:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Note that the one they got is a "toolroom mill", which are lower-cost, lower-speed machines (7 hp or so, 400 ipm rapids).

The one in the picture on your site looks like a DM1, which is a higher-end "production" machine (15+ hp, 2400 ipm rapids, $65K + extras per Haas).
    I have one with a 35,000 rpm spindle for hard face turning.

Anyone out my way is welcome anytime.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

On a semi-related note, this has caused me to read through Raney's blog more deeply, and I'm discovering that I share his sensibilities in a lot of respects (not just about woodworking). I highly recommended his writings.

I would never pay the price tag for one of his planes, but they're much more appealing to me and undoubtedly a lot more usable in the real world than, say, Bridge City.

The fact that he holds Schwartz in such high esteem makes me wonder if I need to reevaluate my opinion of the man. Nobody's perfect after all, and perhaps I've focused too much on his negatives...

I could see them turning out a high quality, but not overly embellished thing that is either not being produced currently at a high quality, like an eggbeater drill, or a quality product at prices that are a step below the super high end stuff like a vesper bevel gauge or something.

I like that they said they are not trying to steal market share but rather fill gaps. So my guess is that the holdfast will be more expensive than a Gramercy but less than a blacksmith forged version.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Greg and welcome to the Creek.

I have not been following close to this since my grandkids have been visiting I've had other priorities.

I do recall someone mentioning the new holdfasts will have 1" shaft. That doesn't seem to presently be a popular model on the market. It would also justify a moderately higher price.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Keller View Post
    I like that they said they are not trying to steal market share but rather fill gaps. So my guess is that the holdfast will be more expensive than a Gramercy but less than a blacksmith forged version.
    Those are good thoughts Greg. It would make sense to aim for that niche in this case.

I second Jim's welcome! Glad to have you with us!
    Fred

Small world; the company Crucible Tools LLC sounds very similar to Crucible Industries LLC.

Crucible Industries LLC
    roots trace back to 1776, when the Naylor and Sanderson Steel Mill was established in Sheffield, England. A century later, the company – then known as Sanderson Brothers - was exporting increasing quantities of tool steel to America and it was decided to establish a steelmaking plant in Syracuse, New York. https://www.crucible.com/Index.aspx#

The U.S. Civil War; 1861 - 1865. http://www.historyplace.com/civilwar/

Manufacturing this tool has been a remarkable challenge in foundry work. But after five months of tests and trials with a patternmaker and a foundry (which has been in business since before the Civil War), we have our first production holdfasts in hand. https://blog.lostartpress.com/2016/0...crucible-tool/

Blog Entries
    It just dawned on my, the first Lie-Nielsen tool event I went to was at the Crucible School of Industrial Arts in Oakland, California:

http://thecrucible.org/?gclid=CMPQsP...FQ5rfgodMG0GaQ

Most likely no connection, but the name seemed familiar.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Small world; the company Crucible Tools LLC sounds very similar to Crucible Industries LLC.

Crucible Industries LLC
    roots trace back to 1776, when the Naylor and Sanderson Steel Mill was established in Sheffield, England. A century later, the company – then known as Sanderson Brothers - was exporting increasing quantities of tool steel to America and it was decided to establish a steelmaking plant in Syracuse, New York. https://www.crucible.com/Index.aspx#

The U.S. Civil War; 1861 - 1865. http://www.historyplace.com/civilwar/

Manufacturing this tool has been a remarkable challenge in foundry work. But after five months of tests and trials with a patternmaker and a foundry (which has been in business since before the Civil War), we have our first production holdfasts in hand. https://blog.lostartpress.com/2016/0...crucible-tool/
    It's possible - If I started a high-end tool maker and needed to choose a foundry partner, they'd be on the short list. Crucible were very early onto the powdered metallurgy scene, and make a range of super-durable (and super-imposible-to-hone unless you use diamonds) tool steels. If you've seen references to CPM-3V or CPM-10V (for example in Derek's chisel tests) those are both from Crucible.