Thread: " A bit of a puzzle..."

" A bit of a puzzle..."

As Insp. Lestrade would say. While gingerly putting a few things away, found a few items that needed some info on..
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Fancy pin vise. The yellow handle is hollow all the way through to the tip of the metal shaft
    IMAG0003.jpg
    The Knurled part will retract a bit, and there is a ball bearing down there that also retracts. The shaft of a bit needs a single spot for the ball to engage. On the metal shaft: "TRIPLEBIT" On the yellow plastic handle was molded:
    The Lima Iron & Metal Co. 421 S. Central Ave. Lima Ohio and even a phone number....4-9191....any clues on the two of these?

Next up is a plain red wrapper....
    IMAG0007.jpg
    Kind of a plastic like wrapper, untied the strings..
    IMAG0006.jpg
    Hmmm, lots of printing going on...
    IMAG0005.jpg
    HIKRAFT TOOL CO. of Greenfield, Ohio. Cat. # 544 (?) Auger bit set of 5 bits. Sizes listed as 1/4", 3/8",1/2", 5/8, and 3/4".

Not sure if these were made by Irwin for this seller....

Part of the rest of the treasure being put away today..
    IMAG0010.jpg
    Since I went and made bits for the smaller three ....
    IMAG0009.jpg
    One of the 130s needs a shifter replaced. The 131A could act as a walking stick, when fully extended....

So, about the first two items, any clues? Anyone ever hear of a company called "HiKraft"?

Ok, have since found an ad in a 1950 Popular Mechanics mag. Came with three tips, two stored in the handle. You slid the third bit out, replaced it with the next in the handle. $1.50 back then. I think I could take a few old screwdrivers, cut the shafts, and grind a detent spot. Just need to find the right sized shaft.

I looked up the Lima company....they have moved south a couple blocks, and are a recycle dealer.

Well, I guess the drill bit set will remain a puzzle. I looked up the "brand" name....long gone. There IS a place in Greenfield, OH...but they do more towards my old trade...concrete tools.

re: the bits for Yankee screwdrivers: Saw a post long ago. They described how to do a bit of grinding on driver bits. You need to grind a notch on the end to match what Yankee used. Usually the notch further up, to lock the bit into a holder, is almost in the right spot for the Yankee's chuck. The tip for the 135A needed to be slimmed down, to fit into the chuck. So...now I guess I'll be on the lookout for a shifter for a 130A, as one of the two sitting there is missing the shifter/selector/slider.

Need to make a few tips for the TRIPLEBIT handle. With all the old screwdrivers I've picked this year.....might have a couple I can adapt.

Auger bits look like the Irwins I have picked this year. Need to clean them up, and see what they need. They look barely used, other than a bit of rust...

I used to live in Hillsboro, then Washington CH, OH while working outside Greenfield, so I am familiar with some history of the area. Hicraft was a manufacturer of bits, chisels, etc. They were later bought out by Mecto (which was later bought by K-D Tools), and they made wrenches in Greenfield that competed with the Mac Tools made just up the road in Sabina. A Google search of 'mecto hicraft tools' will give you a little more background. I believe the Greenfield plant closed in the late '70s, early '80s, but I could be mistaken.

Thank you for the piece of the puzzle....