Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8" Jointers - thoughts on the used market?

8" Jointers - thoughts on the used market?

I am one jointer shy of a jointer.

I've been looking at craigslist in Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan for a decent used machine. I am fine with 220 but not interested in 3phase.

Specifically I've been looking for a Delta DJ-20 but am I looking for the right thing?

So, the question is;
    - what models and brands should I consider when looking for an 8" jointer?

Helical cutter head would be nice and upgraded later, considering my price range.

Dale,
    I sold a pretty decent single phase 8 inch powermatic about a year ago. I think I got $650. I am in Madison, wi. I think the powermatic is as good or better than delta.

I have a real affinity for powermatic. I have no reason for it, I just like them.

Dale, I would not hesitate to buy powermatic ,delta dj-20 or 37-315, or a general [made in canada]. That being said you have to find one of those first. There are others that work well also. The grizzly Go 490 is a dj-20 clone and a good one. Good luck,hope you find one soon.

I have to tell you that I have been completely satisfied with my 8 inch Grizzly. It's funny, I have a lot of tools from different Manufacturers (jet, powermatic, grizzly, ridgid, etc) and I am happy with all. Every review, or update, on each Grizzly tool I have purchased has been way more than my expectations. in fact, I believe I state in most reviews, " I can't imagine what else someone would want or expect out of the tool". I have a Grizzly table saw, lathe, band saw, and jointer. I do though, highly recommend the Helical Cutter.......whatever machine you end up buying.

I have a Delta DJ20 which I bought about 20 years ago. One thing I really like about it is the simple handle to lift and lower the infeed table. Mine is set to stop at a 1/32 or so skim cut when I lift the handle. For a quick deeper cut I simply have to loosen the adjustment lock, and move the lever down a bit, then relock it. I make my deeper cut, and return to the skim cut which just takes a few seconds.

I much prefer this to the rotating wheels on most jointers. The parallelogram system is also easy to adjust if it should happen to need it.

I have considered getting a 12" Grizzly jointer with the segmented cutters, but even though it is a parallelogram type, it uses wheels rather than the levers, and that stops me.

I will probably end up getting a new head for my Delta.

Hope this helps.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I've been watching CL in same area since spring, and haven't seen many 8" machines come up. There was a DJ-20 in Westville, IN last spring but the asking price wasn't that far from a new Grizzly with straight knives. Thin market this year--a few years back seems like I saw 8" machines almost weekly, but I wasn't ready to buy. Figures!!

earl

I have a Grizzly G0500, which is a long-bed, 4-knife, 8" model. Discontinued some time ago. I really like it and it has been reliable. Knives are easy to find. Byrd does make a helical cutterhead to fit this machine, and when I can scrape up the dollars I'm going to retrofit it with one.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

I rebuilt a Jet and used it with good results.

I had a DJ-20 that I bought used on Craigslist. It was a dream machine! Had to sell when I moved out of state. Hoping to find another used one soon.

Hey Rick, I just got that 12 inch grizzly jointer with the helical head. It's fantastic and leaves a great finish. I wouldn't let the presence of the adjustment wheels deter you. They're very easy to use and most 12 inch joiners have the wheels versus the levers. At least I think most. Anyway you got a great Jointer already and if you decide to keep it go for that helical head.

As for the original post, good luck finding a used jointer I looked at craigslist for two months and any 8 inch joiner that popped up was expensive, you could buy a new grizzly for what they were asking for many models.

A yorkcraft 8" just popped up on CL today here in Cleveland. $400!

I got my perfect Made in USA DJ-20 for $75 on CL... so ya, I'd say the used market for 8" jointers is pretty good...

Hey Robin,

How about a full review on that Grizzly. I am sure more people than just me would be interested.

Rick P

PS: Sounds like Nick got the deal of the day. Wow!
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

The DJ 20 was never made in the US. Base was but the cast iron was first sourced from Brazil, then Taiwan, and finally from China. That is also the order of desirability. My DJ 20 is a very decent machine but the tables are not even close to my old jointers for flat. Flat is the key with the beds and more important than brand. The old PM 60 was US as was the old Delta wedgebed. You really want to measure how flat the tables are on the wedgebed type as they were made differently from the large three toed jointers. The bed and top wedge were cast together so if not correct are a pain to adjust. The old Oliver 144 had the wedge separate from the tables so not an issue. The Oliver or Northfield 8" would be the pick of the litter. The PM and DJ 20 are more common. The older blue Jet were Taiwan and the General from Canada is a great jointer although the tables are a little short. The DJ 20 has the longest tables so that is a plus. Dave