Thread: Vintage tools and paint

Vintage tools and paint

What is it with past tool owners and paint? Seems every garage or estate sale tool, whether nice vintage saws, planes, or chisels and the like are splattered with paint. More than not, oil based paint. Did they decide to paint something and put all their tools next to it? The rust is bad enough, but the paint is just plain lack of care.

End of rant.

Blog Entries
    It is always green paint.
    I believe "they" would hang the tools on the pegboard behind the workbench. The hammer found convenient behind the workbench helped set the stage. Undoubtedly they would turn the can so that the portion of the lip full of paint was facing away from them thus splattering the paint across the tools. I believe this is where Jackson Pollock found inspiration as a boy. Had the knowledge of how to clean the cans lip not been lost to antiquity such crimes may never have been committed.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Paint rollers are bad to spray spatters of paint if rolled too quickly. When I paint with rollers,I roll slowly,and do not leave a mess. I had to paint 3 coats on my new,unpainted 30x40' shop building with long handled rollers to reach the high ceiling. I managed to do so without leaving splatters on the concrete floor.

Of course,most people also do not know how to paint properly with a brush,and splatter paint everywhere with them too.

Having paint spatters on your tools is a good thing when working on job sites with many people around. You can always identify your tools. Best of all thieves tend to leave tools that are paint spattered alone. They can't be good if paint spattered.
    Jim

Yabbut,aren't everyone's tools spattered?

George you must have missed the memo. Power tools, blood red, hand tools green, brown for those tools that are: oh well you get it.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Planes make a handy weight to hold down drop cloths.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"Them dang painters are always rushing the carpenters......usually painting right where I set my tool box...."

In this area, the paint spatters are most often white. My Stanley 78, though, which was imported from Pennsylvania (after being imported from England originally), was apparently in the maintenance toolkit at a Barbie factory, because its paint spatters are pink.

Having just finished replacing the dump valve on the black waste tank on my RV, I'm of the opinion that paint spatters on the tools are better than a good many other things.

My Bedrock 604 came with white paint, on the corrugated side. That was a pain to remove.

As I finish up removing the final spots of paint from a plane tote (white this time - but Andrew you are correct, it is usually green!), I appreciate the chuckles from you all.

Guess I must be the lucky one. Most of the old tools I purchased had little if any paint. The ones that did have paint didn't take a lot of effort to remove. MEK seems to quite easily remove most paint.

What's worse is the dredded saw and tool painters. Dern their hides! They sit and deliberately ruin stuff with that penetrating paint that you can not get off. Somebody needs to slap them!
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Another one crept in from the wild, tired and in need of some care. It is a rare mutation with paint spots on one side only.

Miller's Falls #14.jpg

One of the shop workers said he got an old plane in a box of give away stuff. I told him, I bet it has paint spots on it. Sure enough it is true to the breed.

Miller's Falls #14 Type 3.