Thread: Building Bifold Doors for Closet

Building Bifold Doors for Closet

Hello,

I'm wanting to build two custom sized bifold doors for a closet where our murphy bed is stored. I cannot seem to find any information on bifold door construction online and wondered if anyone had any suggestions on how to build the doors. Is it simply a matter of creating a frame with some cross supports and getting some 1/2 or 1/4 for the fronts and backs?

Thanks,

Jon

I think you're on the right track. As for the plywood, look for door skin ply. It's very thin but just the ticket for your doors.

I think if you hack open a typical hollow core door, you'll find it has a bunch of cardboard in it to stiffen the plywood. The cardboard is folded in zig zags and stands on edge inside the door. You could do that or you might put a piece of insulating foam inside. Either way this will stiffen the door and prevent it from flexing corner to corner.

Jon,
    Take a look at www.charlesmcmurray.com they have the hardware for bifold doors and detailed PDF files that describe the needed construction also.

Jon, you can get to the hardware manufactures web site after finding what fits your needs at McMurray's (they are distributors)

A bi-fold door can be made with any door construction method, you don't need to make it a hollow core door as you are describing. If you want a hollow core door, why not just buy one, they are very inexpensive. I f you cant find the exact size you need, just cut it to size and fill in the open side with a piece of pine.
    Scott

Bi-fold doors

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Dormody
    Hello,
    Is it simply a matter of creating a frame with some cross supports and getting some 1/2 or 1/4 for the fronts and backs?

Thanks,

Jon
    That and a track for the top to hold the doors in place. I've made many doors using tempered, 1/4" (slick both sides) Masonite. That might be a little heavy for your application. But try to avoid too thin a material, it tends to show waves if you don't have the proper framing. Where the manufacturers have it over us is they use honeycomb cardboard for filler. I've used foam before with 1/8" masonite with good results.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Thanks! I think I'll have to build the doors, because the opening is not a standard size (86" high for starters, while most doors are 80"). Thanks again,

Jon

You can buy the hardware as a kit from the local BORG - This is a 3' bifold door I built for my house last year:

The construction is a simple frame and panel style. The main thing to realize is that most standard hardware requires the door be a full inch thick. I used 5/4 stock for the frame which I made using through-tenons, then made linenfold panels for the inserts:

While this was for a 36" opening, I wanted 4 doors for clearance in front so bought a 48" wide hardware kit and cut it down to fit (one made by Stanley). The hardware kit will have the instructions for how to use them, I would suggest purchasing it before building to get a handle on how you want to build your door panels.

There's more on what I did to make the through tenons here:

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com/ww/door/tenons1.htm

and the linenfold panels here:

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com/ww/door/linen1.htm

Basically, you can get as creative as you want, just be sure not to make the door too heavy.

HTH
    Leif
    Last edited by Leif Hanson; 09-27-2005 at 6:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif Hanson
    You can buy the hardware as a kit from the local BORG - This is a 3' bifold door I built for my house last year:

The construction is a simple frame and panel style. The main thing to realize is that most standard hardware requires the door be a full inch thick. I used 5/4 stock for the frame which I made using through-tenons, then made linenfold panels for the inserts:

While this was for a 36" opening, I wanted 4 doors for clearance in front so bought a 48" wide hardware kit and cut it down to fit (one made by Stanley). The hardware kit will have the instructions for how to use them, I would suggest purchasing it before building to get a handle on how you want to build your door panels.

There's more on what I did to make the through tenons here:

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com/ww/door/tenons1.htm

and the linenfold panels here:

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com/ww/door/linen1.htm

Basically, you can get as creative as you want, just be sure not to make the door too heavy.

HTH
    Leif
    Jon, don't mean to steal your thread BUT, Leif...If those are your closet doors, what do the rest of the doors in your humble abode look like???? That's gorgeous and a wonderful tutorial on your site! Very, very nice!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!