Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Plane do I need?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    I've been holding back because I didn't want to spoil the party, but I agree with Prashun : A unique workpiece that you're targeting to a specific/immediate purpose probably isn't the right place to learn a new way of woodworking.

As Prashun says sharpening will probably be the most immediate barrier. Any plane you can buy on that sort of budget will need tuning before it can be used to good effect on your Pecan slab, so if you're not set up to do that then you're going to have A Bad Time (tm).
    I have to take exception here. The guy wants to work wood. He wants to buy and learn to use a great woodworking tool. This is the handtool section of the forum. Put all that together and I think you should be encouraging him to sharpen carefully, practice on cheap scrap, and wish him luck on the piece.

Dan, don't forget flea markets or craigslist. Yeah prices get jacked up on some planes but it is occasionally possible to find lower priced tools. Not that you should travel up here for the plane but... http://delaware.craigslist.org/tls/5711907155.html

Or closer to home... http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/tls/5732135651.html
    Last edited by John T Barker; 08-15-2016 at 1:28 AM.

It is not that we are discouraging the use of hand tools. But just because he came to this forum it does not mean it is the best way to solve his problem.

Offering other solutions to the problem is not discouraging, just informing.

We are all trying to encourage hand tool work, but I think there is a difference between "short term" and "long term" encouragement. A flea market Stanley, no sharpening setup, no bench, and no experience pointed at a hunk of hickory with a cheery wave is pretty likely to end up with frustration and the plane right back on Craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    It is not that we are discouraging the use of hand tools. But just because he came to this forum it does not mean it is the best way to solve his problem.

I would go further and say that part of encouraging hand woodworking is pointing out when someone appears to be set up for failure. The worst possible outcome is for somebody to come in with unrealistic expectations, have a horrendous experience, and give up on it forever.

I say "appears to be" because as always we have very limited information. Perhaps the OP is a flat razor enthusiast, in which case sharpening becomes much less of an issue. That's why I waited a while to say what I did - I wanted to see if they would reveal something along those lines.

You guys have given me alot of good information. I had considered taking it to a mill to have it leveled but part of me wants to acquire the tool for future endeavors, eventually I'm going to have to get one so why not now?

and yes the 50$ price point is tough, but I will be patient and try to find one that's suitable.

Believe it or not, I am an avid straight razor user (Patrick somehow knew this ), so sharpening is not an issue, it's just finding one that isn't completely destroyed that's the challenge at this point.

Blog Entries
    it's just finding one that isn't completely destroyed that's the challenge at this point.
    Dan, take a look at this somewhat hidden jewel of the Neanderthal Haven:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...al-wisdom-FAQs

There is a lot there for anyone seeking knowledge of woodworking.

Three of my posts will likely be of help to you:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...th-Hand-Planes

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...gs-to-Look-For

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ker-to-Jointer

None of these is the be all end all of their subject, but they should help you get started in figuring out the use of hand planes. There are other posts by other writers which should also be of help to you.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I am an avid hand tool guy. But I would take that piece of wood to a cabinet shop to get it levelled if I was in the OPs position. Find a nice used #5 and sharpen it up and use it to smooth the top. After practicing, of course. Best of both worlds without getting discouraged.

if you think you are going to persue this hobby, some folks buy a new jack or a properly restored one for their first plane. Then you know what you are shooting for, when buying and restoring used planes. Work(ed) for me. My hand are too screwed up now to restore planes. But, I have all the planes I need. (Said no Neander, ever. :-) )

my $.02
    Paul

Part of the advice you are getting (from me anyway) is the material. Pecan is tied with Hickory for the hardest wood in North America. It is nothing compared to some of the tropical or Australian hardwoods, but it has a well deserved reputation for being tough, durable, and difficult to work. Whatever you do, keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kirkland View Post
    Believe it or not, I am an avid straight razor user (Patrick somehow knew this ), so sharpening is not an issue
    I had no idea that you were a razor person. I just threw that out as the most obvious example I could think of for how somebody could newly take up neander woodworking and *not* have sharpening be a serious limitation.

I had no idea that you were a razor person. I just threw that out as the most obvious example I could think of for how somebody could newly take up neander woodworking and *not* have sharpening be a serious limitation.
    It's all good, I just found it entertaining that that very specific hobby was what you mentioned.

Nicholas, yes the pecan is ludicrously tough, one little chip at a time. Thank you for the reminder and I will not get overzealous.

I picked up a nice Union brand no. 5 size plane locally, thanks for the tips and advice everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post

My thought is that he came to this part of the forum for a specific reason and the question "What plane do I need?" reinforced that thought.
    Last edited by John T Barker; 08-16-2016 at 12:38 AM.

I would go further and say that part of encouraging hand woodworking is pointing out when someone appears to be set up for failure. The worst possible outcome is for somebody to come in with unrealistic expectations, have a horrendous experience, and give up on it forever.

I say "appears to be" because as always we have very limited information. Perhaps the OP is a flat razor enthusiast, in which case sharpening becomes much less of an issue. That's why I waited a while to say what I did - I wanted to see if they would reveal something along those lines.
    I saw the information differently. He came to the hand tool section, he said he wanted a handplane, he said he had other handplanes(i.e, experience with handplanes) and asked for recommendations. Hell, if after a bit of practice he does a so-so job he can flip it over and do a better job on the top.
    Last edited by John T Barker; 08-16-2016 at 12:39 AM.

You didnt say that you need this right away so i think you just need a number 5 plane and you need to gently camber the blade and then you need to take light passes. Keep the blade sharp and resist the urge to take deeper cuts. You can get this done. Be careful to work it diagonally with the grain as much as possible to start and then with the grain to finish it.