Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Japanese chamfer plane question

Japanese chamfer plane question

Over the past few months, I've been slowly making a Japanese workbench.
    I started as a free discarded coffee table (that I found on the way to a Japanese restaurant).
    I've ripped it down, squared the sides, stripped and refinished it.

Now, I'm going to chamfer the corners, and I'd like to use a Japanese chamfer plane.

What do you guys recommend?
    I see there's an inexpensive one from Kakuri (sold by Lee Valley) and a more expensive one from Stu ($120) which is sold at around $160 at Hida Tool.

I'm not really sure what to look for, and would appreciate input.

Blog Entries
    I have one from Tsunesaburo that I like, blue steel 1. It's a fine enough plane that I have never wanted for more but there are some wild ones out there.

The traditional style are slightly more expensive but the screw style are easy enough to work with.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Is the screw one the traditional one?

I completely don't have a clue.
    All that I know about Japanese planes is from Wilburt Pan's blog, or from Stan Covington.

There is also the traditional English Boxed Chamfer Plane.

Stewie;

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Is the screw one the traditional one?

I completely don't have a clue.
    All that I know about Japanese planes is from Wilburt Pan's blog, or from Stan Covington.
    The screw type is a modern version, and the only one of the two I have personal experience with. I like it becuase they have built in measurements which makes repeating the same chamfers easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    The screw type is a modern version, and the only one of the two I have personal experience with. I like it becuase they have built in measurements which makes repeating the same chamfers easier.

Really? I'd love to see a pic, Brian.

I have a Japanese chamfer plane, screw-type, with no provision for measurement. It sounds like a good feature & maybe I could retrofit something.

I took Brian's advice and purchased the Tsunesaburo; it is not cheap and you do have to prep/fit the blade but it is a very nice plane and I am very happy with it; however, I admit to being a bit intrigued with the planes Stewie features in his post (beautiful Stewie).
    Regards,
    Randy

Thanks Randy. The following shows the box chamfer planes at a much earlier stage. Their unique design was quite a challenge.

Stewie;

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 08-13-2016 at 5:47 AM.

Stewie, where are the irons from? Why did you make 4 chamfer planes?

Trevor; the irons were purchased from the U.K as N.O.S. stock in their original packaging. The surplus planes were made to sell. I like to mix the type of tools I make.

Stewie;

Blog Entries
    Beautiful work Stewie!

Here is the Tsunesaburo;

Very nice Brian, there a unique design.

The 2 new water stones I ordered arrived this morning, 8000grt and 12000grt, the top surface on both stones feel silky smooth. Matching slurry stones were supplied.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 08-13-2016 at 9:51 AM.

This is a BU chamfer plane I designed and built about 10 or more years ago. It has two blades - one (high angle) for planing with the grain and another (low angle) for planing across the grain. It was inspired by a Japanese chamfer plane I saw many years ago.

The butterfly nut is deliberate as it is easiest to loosen and tighten. The blade is extended slightly as one proceeds incrementally, working to depth. The interior is marked to plane to a set depth.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Nice one Derek. Why not cut the blade in half though? Looks like it's in the way.

Thanks Trevor. Mostly, I keep the wood sleeve on the end of the blade. Together it functions as a handle, and the extra length adds balance and control to the plane.

Regards from Perth

Derek