Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Japanese chamfer plane question

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Very nice Brian, there a unique design.

The 2 new water stones I ordered arrived this morning, 8000grt and 12000grt, the top surface on both stones feel silky smooth. Matching slurry stones were supplied.

Stewie;
    It's a pretty slick design, and the chip breaker comes in handy often.

Interested to see what you post about the stones, are these synthetic stones?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful table Derek!

Thanks Brian. This is one of a pair of matching demilune end tables I built 10 years ago.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Brian.

Is the plane you have from Tools From Japan? They sell one that looks similar but the description does not say who makes it. You have your hand over the area that I believe has the identifying marking. Does that plane have a single blade with one beveled edge, one blade with a V edge, or two blades? Trying to figure out what is different between it and a LV Block or skewed block plane? Setting how much bevel it makes does sound interesting. It would be nice not to have to guesstimate all the time.

First off, thanks for all the info Brian!

I stumbled on your blog.
    More recently, I've been reflecting on how little I know about stuff, and how generous you'all are with information.

Currently, I'm thinking of going with Hida Tool (even if it's a little more expensive) since it's the local store.
    They'll have stuff that's "not available" on the website.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Brian.

Is the plane you have from Tools From Japan? They sell one that looks similar but the description does not say who makes it. You have your hand over the area that I believe has the identifying marking. Does that plane have a single blade with one beveled edge, one blade with a V edge, or two blades? Trying to figure out what is different between it and a LV Block or skewed block plane? Setting how much bevel it makes does sound interesting. It would be nice not to have to guesstimate all the time.
    The chip breaker makes all the difference for me. I build art frames regularly and maple is not always the most well behaved wood, tearout in chamfering means that you will end up making the chamfers larger than originally intended to chase it out and so the chipper is handy.

The plane I have came from Tomohito Iida and the brand is Tsunesaburo. It is made with blue steel 1, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    First off, thanks for all the info Brian!

I stumbled on your blog.
    More recently, I've been reflecting on how little I know about stuff, and how generous you'all are with information.

Currently, I'm thinking of going with Hida Tool (even if it's a little more expensive) since it's the local store.
    They'll have stuff that's "not available" on the website.
    My pleasure! Glad you are enjoying the blog! If you have questions, fire away, even on old posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    It's a pretty slick design, and the chip breaker comes in handy often.

Interested to see what you post about the stones, are these synthetic stones?
    Brian; the sellers write up indicates they are both nat stones.

Stewie;

MST Müller 8000 Grit 8x2" Natural Sharpening Stone.

MST Müller Water Hone Ultra-fine natural blue water hone in high quality for the final hone of straight razors, scalpels, knives, edge tools, butcher knives.
    Meanwhile, from nearby in the same Thuringian quarry as the Original EscherStone comes a new supply of black to grey-blue colored raw material. Like the Original Escher Hone, the new MST Müller material is composed of pure powder-like quartz, embedded in chalk.

Natural Sharpening Stone 12000 Grit 8x2" Whetstone for Fine Honing.

This whetstone (mined in the Guangxi province of China)
    is very hard - almost like ceramic, and gives a really fine polished edge.

It is also known as a slow stone, requiring 50 - 100 laps to polish the edge of a straight razor,

but the results are superior smoothness - sometimes likened to a "buttery" feel.

Blog Entries
    Excellent! Very interested to see how you like using them.

Stewie those planes are amazing!! I'm surprised there hasn't been more comments on how beautiful these are. You really went all out with these. I'm curious where you came up with the original design of these. I remember an older post you did on these that you probably said where they came from but I don't remember. Either way impressive work.

Thanks Tony; there was a lot of work involved in making those boxed chamfer planes.

Stewie;

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 08-16-2016 at 2:17 AM.

I can only imagine Stewie. I've made a few traditional side escapement planes, hollows, rounds, and rabbets but can't imagine the work involved in this complicated little chamfer plane. Again, really impressive work!

Stewie, those planes are masterworks. And the rest of you are making me want that tsunesaburo. Maybe I'll build one myself someday.

I forgot to mention that Hida Tool has maybe 2-3 bevel planes left in stock (not available on website).
    The prices are all over the place for planes that look identical to each other.
    They tell me it's based on when they bought the plane and the cost at the time.

I'll probably stop by there Thursday or something.

Blog Entries
    Why are the two guys who made the chamfer planes both from Australia?

The following is Phil Edwards version of a wooden bodied Chamfer Plane. http://www.phillyplanes.co.uk/chamfer.html
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 08-17-2016 at 5:55 AM.