Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CU300 or C3-31

I know this thread is a bit old and the OP may have made a decision by now, but I also recently went through this exact same decision, and one of the things that almost swayed my decision was the "CU300 is heavier" argument. Just to set the record straight (since several posters upthread repeated that argument): the CU300 is heavier because it comes with the mortiser as a standard feature, while it's an add-on for the C3-31. If you compare the datasheet listed weights for the machines equipped with the mortiser, they weigh the same.

While the mortiser is a nice feature, the CU300 is also more expensive. For the price difference, I could buy a Domino and vac, which is probably a more useful.

2. Thank you, I was concerned if there was room under the machine to slide the pallet jack. I will know soon enough. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Compton View Post
    Thank you, I was concerned if there was room under the machine to slide the pallet jack. I will know soon enough. Thanks again
    Most machines of this ilk are designed to be able to be moved with a pallet jack or fork truck. A narrow spacing, however is usually needed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I know this thread is a bit old and the OP may have made a decision by now, but I also recently went through this exact same decision, and one of the things that almost swayed my decision was the "CU300 is heavier" argument. Just to set the record straight (since several posters upthread repeated that argument): the CU300 is heavier because it comes with the mortiser as a standard feature, while it's an add-on for the C3-31. If you compare the datasheet listed weights for the machines equipped with the mortiser, they weigh the same.
    I don't want to argue but will say this, since I've seen them both in person. There is no way a Hammer C3-31 is heavier than a CU300 Classic. I realize that literature may indicate that but I've stood right in from of both units (obviously, I know the CU300 like the back of my hand) and it is clearly obvious that the Hammer is a lighter machine. All you have to do is move the sliding table, lift the jointer tables, etc. I don't want to accuse any manufacturer of fudging the numbers but will say that the crated weight is clearly stamped on the side of every CU300 crate. I'm out of the industry now, so it doesn't matter to me what someone buys but there is no way a C3-31 weighs the same as a CU300. All you have to do is see them in person and it's immediately obvious. Just my 2-cents.

Erik

Perhaps the build quality is heavier - I have no idea. But I doubt a major european manufacturer is fudging the weight on their lowest-end machines just to make them look more substantial...

The whole weight thing is a grey area, SCM Group included. This is particularly the case with combo machines, since there are so many options. For example, the exact same CU300 will weigh more if it has 1-phase motors. I would guess 20lbs. more than the three-phase variant but it's not realistic to list out a whole range or weights based on every possible configuration, so mfrs. put a weight based on "average equipment packages". Here is the tricky part: If someone gives you a certain weight, ask your sales guy exactly how that machine is configured. I would bet money he won't know. And how could he? Those weights are coming out of Europe, who may or may not be basing the weight on a build that is what you, the customer, ordered. I only know what a CU300 Classic weights because I brought them in one way and I saw the crated weights on the bills of lading. Otherwise, you are getting a ballpark figure that is probably on the generous side. Unlike all the safety requirements a machine has to have to be sold in the EU, there is no clause for "honesty in weight". In other words, a manufacturer can put whatever they want on there and that is not breaking any rules. For example, there was a bandsaw competitor for Minimax that, on paper, claimed their machine weight was basically identical to the MM16. Yet, any person who had seen both machines in person could clearly see that the Centauro (MM16) had substantially more metal on it than the other unit. So, there was obviously no way it could be the same weight as the Centauro yet all the sales literature for years was claiming that.

My advice to customers is to not focus on weight. That's a figure that can be manipulated, just like snazzy photos or videos, to make any machine look the way the seller wants. Instead, customers need to focus on design and build quality. That's where your money ought to be going. Just my 2-cents as always.

Erik

Been watching videos of these machines online. Thinking I may have to order one.